News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

You might be surprised - Check the local parts suppliers

Started by Eric Falk, September 19, 2009, 04:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Falk

I just wanted to remind everyone to check the local parts supplier before you shop online.  On two occasions I recently was surprised to discover parts were less expensive and available locally.

Twice now the local Shucks (now owned by Oreilly Auto Parts) got me the part for less money.  I was in the store for something else and decided to ask them if they had inner wheel seals for my 56'.  The guy said they were $14.99 and he could have them for me the next day, they were in California.  I asked him the total with shipping.  He said there wasn't a shipping charge, I just needed to prepay.  It was about noon when I paid for the parts.  The next morning at 9:30 AM I got a phone call from the store informing me the parts were ready to be picked up.  I was shocked; those parts traveled 1,400 miles in less than 24 hours!  And from a chain auto parts store!

Moral of the story....... ALWAYS check with several of your local parts stores before you order online, you just might be surprised what they can do.  Oh, and they might just save you some money.  That same store has 56' valve cover gaskets (Fel-Pro) for $18.99.  They weren't in stock but the ones for the 57' were.

Regards

JerRita

Many times I have not been able to find a part but if I took the old one to a good parts supplier and they saw the old one and the part number it was listed under another GM application ie I needed a reostat for the climate control on a 78 deville and it wasn't listed but when the crossed the part # it was available for and Olds Ask first
Jerry and Rita Trapani #15725 Caddymaniacs

TJ Hopland

Often times specialty dealers get the same parts from the same source as any other parts store.   The trick is finding it.  99% of the store employees are helpless without the computer even though there is a big rack of books somewhere.  Except for a few models like VW beetle, 57 chev, and some of the muscle cars most of the computers only seem to go back to the mid 70's. Some of the stores cross references are decent if you have a part number to start with.   Most are not so good and seem to be case and punctuation sensitive so you can easily miss things.     Like you said it does work out sometimes.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Misfit

I guess I'm lucky. I have a store near me that can get me just about anything I need for the '59 or the '76. They look in the stack of books under the counter, and then give me the part.

MisFit

jeff1956

i get most all my parts from local parts houses.  for example kanter sells the shock set for the 55 cadillac for 185.00 plus shipping.  a little bit of research and cross referencing and i purchased a set of hd monroe gas matics for 65.00 for all four! sstabilizer link kit came from autozone for 5 bucks a side.  wheel cyl kits were 2.50 each..brake shoes 15 bucks each axle.  with enough research they can get most anything....why pay three times the price?  im all about saving money especially if its the same parts.

jeff

Coupedeville

If i post a shopping list will you guys source and post it to the UK for me! ;D
Joe Hunt