News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

XLR information

Started by Doc Torman, July 22, 2012, 08:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc Torman

I am thinking about getting an XLR. I have doing as much reading as possible on these cars. I haven't been able to find too much info on them. Does anyone here have any insights they wish to share? I am wondering if there was any major flaws? If there is a better than not year for them? I have seen prices all over the ball park for them and that has led me to wonder why! Just general feelings would be great..... Any input is appreciated as always and Thanks !!!
Doc T
Doc Torman
CLC#17468

1994 Fleetwood Brougham  (currently)

Bruce Nunnally

I would shop for one of the Supercharged XLR-V's but certainly any of the XLRs are special cars.  Biggest drawback is trunk space, which limits touring unless you have a sporty and light-traveling companion.

Some year by year info here: http://www.caddyinfo.com/xlryearbyyear.html The XLR of course has the Corvette chassis with Cadillac appointments.  It features a Cadillac Northstar engine in RWD configuration, making 320 hp for the XLR or 440 hp for the Supercharged XLR-V.  They were all made on a bespoke line at Bowling Green, and are welcome to the Corvette Homecomings there.

As with any convertible ask the seller to operate the roof several times in your presence to validate smooth operation in both directions.  Good luck with your shopping Doc.

Gene Beaird

The only thing that stands out in my reads about these cars is on some years, the motors for the top were located in a couple of wells just in front of the rear wheels.  Those wells have drains in them that tend to plug, allowing the wells to fill with water and mess up the motors. 

You may want to see if there's a way to actually look at the motors, and/or find out where the drains are, and verify they are open on any car you look at.

They are really nice-looking cars.  I'd love to have one.  Good luck with your search.

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873