News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

YOM law in your state

Started by polonus, July 30, 2015, 01:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Director

In Colorado, YOM plates are allowed. I have a pair of them on my 1963 and it was quite easy to register a pair of original plates I found on eBay. All I had to do was renew my collector plates for five more years, take a photo of both plates, fill out a form and send the photo of the plates and the form to the state. The state wants to make sure the plates are readable and in good condition. A few weeks later, received a permission letter and a registration for the 1963 plates that I keep in the glove box.

The only requirement is that the current plates have to be in the car somewhere to show to a law enforcement officer upon request. I keep them in a box in the trunk.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dmv/other-license-plates

Tim
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

Greg Powers

I enjoy the fact that in NC we can use the YOM plates on our cars. I think this might be a different matter if the car is driven on a daily basis as a regular driver. I think that you would then be required to run a regular tag or an antique auto tag, as you be required to carry a different form of insurance on the car. ( It sure makes cars easier to identify by year model with the YOM tag at local shows and gatherings).
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

bcroe

Quote from: Greg Powers( It sure makes cars easier to identify by year model with
the YOM tag at local shows and gatherings).   

I have regular daily driven plates, but they still identify the year.  Bruce Roe

The Tassie Devil(le)

We can only have YOM plates when we pay the exhorbitant cost for personalised plates.

We can get anything, within reason on them, but they still come with the reflective coatings that the Speed, Red Light and Tollway Cameras love.

I have Personalised Plates with my initials and the year of the car.   Back in those days, it was a one-off cost of $11.00 each.   Now the cost would be $1000.00, plus an annual rental fee.   Oh, how times have changed.

Now I only buy cars to suit the various plates I own.

Bruce.>:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

John Barry [CLC17027]

New Jersey has no such law.  If my memory is correct, 1956 was the last year for an annual plate change in the Garden State.  Thereafter, it's been a matter of applying stickers, first to the plate itself and then to the windshield.  Thus, if there were to be a law enacted in NJ (I tried contacting my assemblyman to see what could be done and that went into a black hole), it would be like those of a few other states and be limited to truly vintage vehicles from the mid-1950s and before.

I'll say here that I have authentic Gloucester County plates for my '40 La Salle.  Sometimes, I forget  ::) to remove them...so far, nobody has hassled me; I suppose that pulling over a 75 year old vehicle for incorrect plates is pretty low on the list.  I will specify, however, that the contemporary NJ historic vehicle tags are with the vehicle in the trunk.   ;)
John Barry (CLC 17027)
Now-retired editor/Publisher of the Valley Forge Region newsletter, The Goddess
1940 La Salle series 50 four door sedan

willowbilly3

I just picked up the plates for my 56 today. In SD, they have to be the year of the car and there are restrictions on vehicle usage, like not intended for daily transportation and you can't have any business advertising on the sides of the car.

JoeCeretti

Here is Ontario Canada they have to be from the year. Then you send them off to be authenticated along with a $250 fee for the authentication. If they check out, color wise, and the number is not in use, they can be registered and used just like any other plate. I have 1938 plates on my car.

The stupid thing, they send you a letter to take to the registration office. So I went, and the woman behind the counter said, ok I see the letter but where is the original registration slip? I said, uhhmmm.... there isn't one... read the letter. She would not listen or budge until I said I lost it.. and then she charged me $15 for a lost slip.

Seriously?? Government employees... ugh
1938 60S nearly done and then destroyed by fire :(
1989 Buick Riviera (Arctic White Paint / Blue Cloth Interior)

Highwayman68

So after reading the discussions here I decided to apply for a YOM plate with the state of PA for my 68 Fleetwood. To qualify you have to posses or register for antique status for the vehicle, I already have antique status. Several years ago when there were discussions developing that the state would allow YOM plates I started looking around on the internet and found the proper plate really cheap which was approved and accepted this week by the state. I received my new registration card yesterday and today I put the plate on the car. Let's see how things go.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981