News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1932 Cadillac V8 (355B) exhaust manifold

Started by kkarrer, September 27, 2018, 03:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkarrer

Hey guys!  Does anyone out there have a source for an exhaust manifold for a 1932 (355B) v8?  I sent a pair out to the guys in Minnesota.  They've done good work for me in the past, but apparently they don't put the manifolds on a jig prior to heating them nor do they trace out the parts they get in and make a template in order to have a before and after notion as to whether or not the parts are still in spec after their process. When they're finished, they just send them back.  Anyway,  one of my manifolds was somehow twisted and stretched and will not bolt up and now they're saying that it was "junk" to start with. So the long and short of this is that I'm now looking for another exhaust manifold and someone who can coat it with porcelain and stand behind their work. The manifolds on these engines are so prominently mounted that they really do have to be done correctly.  Flatheads prior to 32 won't interchange as they exit out the front.
Thanks,
Ken Karrer
CenTex CLC Reg. Dir.
512-626-7268
kenneth.karreremail addresses not permitted

DaveZ

Hi,
I may be able to help you out.  let me see what we have.
Dave
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

kkarrer

Dave,
    Thanks for the reply. 
Ken Karrer
CenTex Reg. Dir.
512-626-7268
kenneth.karreremail addresses not permitted

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Ken,
How did you do on the data plate project?
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

houseboats1

Hello
What you need to do when you get it back is get someone to put it on a milling machine and skim the surfaces so they are flat. The continued heating and cooling when driving will naturally warp them, if you put a straight edge along them you will see if they are flat. Better to send them to get coated after they are machined. Also if they are coated at a high temp they should be bolted down to something solid. I hope this helps

kkarrer

Guys,
    Ok first.  I haven't found an exhaust manifold yet.  Just a data plate.  Second, I always check the manifolds when they come back from the  porcelain process and put them on my belt sander if necessary.  I this case the manifold cracked and warped during the heating process and was not checked before the porcelain was applied.  When I got it, it was so far out of spec that even boring out the holes out to 1/2" and milling down the shafts of the mounting bolts didn't do any good.  So now I'm looking for another manifold.
Thanks,
Ken

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Ken,
Could I see a pic of your data plate?
Thanks, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

kkarrer

Bob,
     Yes I'll get you a picture of it.  Got it a while back and I have so much of this car still in pieces, but I'll find it soon.
Ken