News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

XTS & CT6 Production to Cease in 2019

Started by T J Lankes, November 26, 2018, 10:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.Smith

The buyer drives the market ultimately. We can cry all we want about models fading away, but many of us are part of the problem. There is an import in your driveway because "it lasts longer, breaks down less, better fuel economy, whatever the excuse. But we can't expect our beloved US brands to remain around forever if nobody is buying them. Cadillac is at least selling a lot of SUVs. The XT5 is the Sedan deVille of today. The Escalade is the Fleetwood Series 75 sedan, now the vehicle of choice for Livery use at airports. Times they are a changing. We don't have to like it. But we have to accept it.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: BJM on November 26, 2018, 08:46:06 PM
Isn’t the XTS the flagship?

Some consider the Escalade the Cadillac flagship but as far as their sedans, the CT6 is the flagship.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: z3skybolt on November 26, 2018, 11:43:44 PM
Why is it that many foreign auto companies make and sell "large" sedans in this country and domestic makers cannot?  I see Mercedes, BMW, Kia, Jaguar, Toyota, Honda, Audi, etc......handsome, high performance sedans, on the highway all the time.

I think some of those automakers continue to make large sedans because they have stronger/wider sales overseas to make up for weak U.S. sales.  The large sedans from some of the brands you listed barely see sales here e.g., Jaguar XJ sales so far this year are only 1,365, Audi A8 only 909, Kia K900 only 277.  Some others do better but have seen sales decline e.g., BMW 7 Series fell over 28% in 2017 and are down another 9.4% so far this year to 6,685.

Despite weak sedan sales, many import brands have seen record breaking sales in the U.S. in recent years thanks to their crossovers/SUVs.

T J Lankes

The article at the link below confirms that the CT6 is finished in the U.S., but Blackwing V8 versions will be built and those examples could become instant collector cars. 

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/11/cadillac-ct6-will-exit-production-but-not-before-ct6-v-launches/

jdemerson

See this current article from ROAD & TRACK.

cars/future-cars/a25308748/2019-cadillac-ct6-v-v8-future-classic/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_rdt&utm_medium=email&date=112718

The pieces of this story don't all seem to make sense. The new 2019 CT6-V with the Cadillac V8 engine was announced many months ago. Now it is decided by Cadillac to end production of the CT6 in 2019. Cadillac's current web page lists CT6-V as slated for introduction in Spring 2019. Although several 2019 Cadillac models are already out (and sales brochures are released), there is still nothing available on ANY model of the 2019 CT6.

See links:

https://www.cadillac.com/sedans/ct6-sedan/trims

https://www.cadillac.com/future-concept-vehicles/ct6-v-sedan

Will Cadillac really release the 2019 CT6-V with a new V8 in (say) March of 2019, and then end production of all CT-6 models a few months later?  If so, then Road & Track has a point that the 2019 CT6-V will be a very rare and highly sought-after model!

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac sedan 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

T J Lankes

Production of the 2019 CT6 began in Sept. and non-V8 versions have just started to appear at dealerships in the last week, (search inventory at your dealer websites).  I'm guessing that the V8 versions will begin production around the time of the Detroit Auto Show in mid January.

I suspect that with the $175M investment GM made in the Lansing Grand River plant (currently ATS, CTS & Camaro production), that there may be a CT7/CT8 sedan in the future in addition to the CT4 and CT5 which will replace the ATS and CTS.  Time will tell.

fishnjim

Just go down the highway and see the preponderance of mid-size SUV like vehicles.   
With these call for a ride e-services, gridlock traffic, and lack of parking in the cities trend is it probably no longer makes sense to own.   
My "issue" with car manufacturers is they are all tending to the same design, rather than risking with new and functional.   I think it's brought a resurgence for our dyno-soars.
A consequence of downsizing and mergers, they buy someone, merge the platforms to save cost and they end up all looking the same.  Sales falter, they sell them, and cycle repeats.   The Asian makers started the follow MB design back a few decades and it's snowballed into follow the leader sameness.
For all I care about 4 doors, they can take off 2 doors and put WWTs & big fins on my next XTX? and I'd be happy(ier)...   I liked my last leased CTS but I wouldn't own it.   Back seat never got used.
My crystal ball shows a shake out of sorts, that's long over due.   GM should've went out last time, they'd be healed by now.   Politics didn't do them a favor in my opinion.

Bill Young

Two things in which I am about to write depend on 1) I am retired and 2) I live in Central Florida to make this a workable plan. So, after crunching numbers I have determined that selling my 2011 contemporary car with 63,000 miles on it festooned with computers and a shrinking time line on the extended warranty available and relying on my classic Cadillac as my main transportation is more economical. Looking at my 2011 depreciating plus the cost of insurance and licensing Vs. the same costs of my 1972 plus gas here is hovering above $2.00 a gallon tells me that it is time to make the adjustment. If I need to drive a long distance for some reason I will rent a car and then return it. Also my car is not an all original low mileage. it is fully mechanically overhauled and paint , top and interior leather are all new. So here we go.

jdemerson

I spotted this link for the base CT6 this morning, with 70 photos.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/pictures/2019-cadillac-ct6/19/

It indicates that CT6 production ends in June 2019.

Here's some technical information from Motor Trend about the new V8 engine.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/cadillac/ct6/2019/2019-cadillac-ct6-v-sport-twin-turbo-v8-first-look-review/

John Emerson
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

cadillacmike68

Quote from: D.Smith on November 27, 2018, 07:07:29 AM
The buyer drives the market ultimately. We can cry all we want about models fading away, but many of us are part of the problem. There is an import in your driveway because "it lasts longer, breaks down less, better fuel economy, whatever the excuse. But we can't expect our beloved US brands to remain around forever if nobody is buying them. Cadillac is at least selling a lot of SUVs. The XT5 is the Sedan deVille of today. The Escalade is the Fleetwood Series 75 sedan, now the vehicle of choice for Livery use at airports. Times they are a changing. We don't have to like it. But we have to accept it.

No imports in my driveway or garage.

As Eric stated earlier and as I have stated for some 20 years, SUVs and pickups are not rated as passenger cars by the EPA and have more lenient CAFE and safety standards than "passenger cars", hence the gigantic fuel sucking SUVs are and have been all the rage.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Big Apple Caddy

The fuel economy ratings of many of today's crossovers/SUVs aren't really that bad.  For example, the EPA rating for today's most popular Cadillac, the XT5 crossover, is 19/26 (FWD) or 18/25 (AWD).  Compare that to the fuel economy rating of the most popular Cadillac 30 years ago, the DeVille, at 15/23.  Overall, crossovers and SUVs have been seeing the greatest gains in fuel economy lately.  Also, some of today's popular crossovers are actually classified as cars as far as MPG standards.

V63

Is it just me? I can’t look at a SUV and see a ‘luxurious’ looking vehicle, no matter how nice they are trimmed?

We only have to look at the ‘new’ plastic gas can to see what government involvement can create on a smaller scale.

The idea is supposed to be a ‘safety’ gas container.

What you have is a container you can’t get fuel out off😳, plus it has no vent for ‘safety’ , so many people poke a hole in the damn thing. Ultimately the fuel is dribbling on your shoe as you shake it attempting to get fuel into the tank.

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on November 30, 2018, 09:07:57 AM
The fuel economy ratings of many of today's crossovers/SUVs aren't really that bad.  For example, the EPA rating for today's most popular Cadillac, the XT5 crossover, is 19/26 (FWD) or 18/25 (AWD).  Compare that to the fuel economy rating of the most popular Cadillac 30 years ago, the DeVille, at 15/23.  Overall, crossovers and SUVs have been seeing the greatest gains in fuel economy lately.  Also, some of today's popular crossovers are actually classified as cars as far as MPG standards.

Sure, and 23 years ago my Fleetwood had the same ratings or within 1MPG with a V8, RWD and real towing capability (5,000 lbs)

If the XT-whatever has those ratings imagine what an escalade or any other full size suburban uhttack vehicle or pickemup truck  has...
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillacmike68

Quote from: V63 on November 30, 2018, 11:15:20 AM
Is it just me? I can’t look at a SUV and see a ‘luxurious’ looking vehicle, no matter how nice they are trimmed?

We only have to look at the ‘new’ plastic gas can to see what government involvement can create on a smaller scale.

The idea is supposed to be a ‘safety’ gas container.

What you have is a container you can’t get fuel out off😳, plus it has no vent for ‘safety’ , so many people poke a hole in the damn thing. Ultimately the fuel is dribbling on your shoe as you shake it attempting to get fuel into the tank.

You are not the only one.

Don't get me started on those gas cans. They are the worst thing since child proof covers on medicine containers. More gas On the lawn mower than in it.

For a solution to the gas can spout, try EZ-Pour spouts available on amazon or directly at https://ezpourspout.com/ .
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on December 01, 2018, 10:38:10 AM
Sure, and 23 years ago my Fleetwood had the same ratings or within 1MPG with a V8, RWD and real towing capability (5,000 lbs)

If the XT-whatever has those ratings imagine what an escalade or any other full size suburban uhttack vehicle or pickemup truck  has...

The 1996 Fleetwood is rated 15/24 (4 lower city and 2 lower highway than the FWD XT5).  The Escalade 4x2 is rated just 1 mpg lower city and highway than the Fleetwood.

Many of today's top selling crossovers/SUVs, some of which are classified as cars, get decent fuel economy.  Most buyers shunning sedans are going with small to midsize crossovers/SUVs, not the largest models.

BJM

It needs to get a lot better - meaning fuel mileage and move to electrics.  Sad to say Tesla is far ahead of all makers of traditional vehicles.  I hope in 10 years, there will be far more electric and solar electric vehicles. 

Cadillac is following and moving to SUV's.  Why does it seem like the consumers and the government, and the zeitgeist of global warming get ignored by the vehicle manufacturers until it's like "OK, OK fine! we will create an electric car!" 

If Cadillac made a phenomenal in your face all electric car in 5 years, people would buy it. Make 2 platforms - one smaller and one new sized, enough for 4-5 people.  Make them fast, full of modern gee whiz electronics, put a solar panel in the roof to convert solar to electrical for longer driving.

I have solar powered motion detector lights all around the house. 

The SUV craze will end. It's driven by the same dynamics of "The Status Seekers" of the 1950's.  It's been a market segment for a long time - just not in this market penetration. 

Big Apple Caddy

It will be interesting to see where "electrification" takes the auto industry in the future.  Right now, plug-in hybrids and fully electric vehicles still only account for about 1.4% of new sales in the U.S. but that should grow rapidly in the coming years as more and more manufacturers bring out electric models.

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on December 02, 2018, 09:10:34 AM
The 1996 Fleetwood is rated 15/24 (4 lower city and 2 lower highway than the FWD XT5).  The Escalade 4x2 is rated just 1 mpg lower city and highway than the Fleetwood.

Many of today's top selling crossovers/SUVs, some of which are classified as cars, get decent fuel economy.  Most buyers shunning sedans are going with small to midsize crossovers/SUVs, not the largest models.

My point was that 23-25 years later (1994 will be 25 years ago in a month) the best they can offer with an essentially smaller FWD platform is 1-2 (maybe 3 in city) mpg better without any real towing capacity.

Or more importantly is that they can get away with this because these abominations are not classified as cars by the EPA. Otherwise there would be a several thousand dollar per vehicle gas guzzler tax in every one and sales would plummet. And it's not only GM, all of the makers are taking advantage of this, otherwise they'd be left in the dust.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

CAFE mileage requirements should be abolished period.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Scot Minesinger

Mike makes some really god points:

The 1994-96 RWD Fleetwoods did enjoy mid 20's mpg at highway speed, with gobs of torque (yes I know the the V-6's rate similarly but at higher rpms and still do not feel as quick), great towing, and major class.  I drove mine a quarter million miles and only sold it because did not feel it was wise to rely on a ten year old 254k miles car as daily driver during a very a demanding career.

For that matter my 1985 Caprice with 305 V-8 drove to 300k miles with no work done to original operational a/c, trans, engine, carb., and diff. (sold only because did not want to wait until it became unreliable, replaced it with 1995 RWD Fleetwood) performed at 27mph highway (even with 300k on odometer) with a 26 gallon tank - that car really had some range.  All in all on the mpg and power improvements over the last three decades (compare a 1985 Caprice to a 2015 Impala, and I will take the 1985 for the way it drives-room-power-and mpg), the results have been lack luster, although not non-existent.

Nothing but American cars in my driveway.  All my cars are RWD V-8 with full perimeter body on frame chassis.

I get it though, people want the SUV's and cross overs and that is the way it is right now.  The CT6 certainly was a step in the direction that was pleasing to me (and not enough of the public) by Cadillac.  Sorry to see it go.  The future probably will be electric cars (ten years to a majority) and self driving (20 years to a majority).  I see so many stupid human errors mixed with different driving techniques, habits, and etc. when I drive that it is not difficult to envision self driving cars as a huge improvement.  Sure self driving cars even after near perfection will suffer some issues, but way less than human driven.  Electric cars are fast and quiet - luxury features Cadillac always strive to attain.  Ultimately the future of automotive transportation will better, albeit with less style and fun.  Things change.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty