News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

You dont know the meaning of FRUSTRATION 1960 Instrument Lights

Started by 60eldo, December 18, 2018, 08:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillactim

Run a wire from the back plate where the bulbs plug to the body. This will give you a separate ground circuit for the bulbs. Why keep hunting for the problem when you can do a simple modification?

Tim
Tim Groves

C Gorgas

Oh yes I do know the meaning of FRUSTRATION. My '41 runs for 5 maybe 8 miles and says "I'm going for a rest now"; it shuts down and will not go for another 4 hours. Response #15 has helped particularly. chet25441

76eldo

Listen to Tim and add an extra ground wire from the rear of the cluster to a bolt or screw on the metal dash frame.  If it's a ground issue, this will fix it.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

60eldo

So last night I took the entire dash out again and then took the speedo cluster out and tryed it on its own with ground to rear of cluster and it worked. Now I cleaned the 4 bolts that hold it into the dash, sanded, the bolts which were coroded and bolted the cluster back in and installed the dash into the car, by the way those hooks that are suppose to hold the dash in are useless, they do nothing. Anyway turned the lights on and they are working now. Im happy but not totally cause Im not sure what I did to solve this. Anyone needing advice on how to take out a 1960 dash,,,call me I can do it in 15 minutes now, only cause I took mine out 4 times LOL
Jon. Kluczynski

INTMD8

Glad you got it working! 

I can relate. Just spent 40+hrs wiring a complete car front to back.  Staring at monotone wiring diagrams all day can be tiring  ;D

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 60eldo on December 20, 2018, 10:42:09 AM
    So last night I took the entire dash out again and then took the speedo cluster out and tryed it on its own with ground to rear of cluster and it worked. Now I cleaned the 4 bolts that hold it into the dash, sanded, the bolts which were coroded and bolted the cluster back in and installed the dash into the car, by the way those hooks that are suppose to hold the dash in are useless, they do nothing. Anyway turned the lights on and they are working now. Im happy but not totally cause Im not sure what I did to solve this. Anyone needing advice on how to take out a 1960 dash,,,call me I can do it in 15 minutes now, only cause I took mine out 4 times LOL

YAY! Good for you!  8)

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: C Gorgas on December 20, 2018, 08:12:26 AM
Oh yes I do know the meaning of FRUSTRATION. My '41 runs for 5 maybe 8 miles and says "I'm going for a rest now"; it shuts down and will not go for another 4 hours. Response #15 has helped particularly. chet25441
Is that the first image from answer #15 which has helped? by putting the contend into the tank from the car or for personal usage?!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

jaxops

Congratulations!  I have the same problem...everything works fine and suddenly the next time you use the car, Pow! Smack! Whamo!  New problems.  My issue is probably the rheostat on the headlight switch....yay, I foolishly turned it and now, no dashlights. 
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Skwerly62

From my old CG Avionics days. “Ground is ground is ground”, doesn’t matter where it comes from just make sure it’s a solid connection. Bench test the cluster with alligator clips and a cordless drill/tool battery (pref 12v) before putting it back in and out 10 more times. If the old dash lights work then you know the harness is good and it’s something in the newly swapped parts. Make sure when troubleshooting you only change out one thing or component at a time to find out if it’s the problem. Wires are much easier to trace and repair than circuit boards. Good luck.
1958 Extended Deck 62 Sedan SOLD
1960 Coupe - current project
USCG Vet - Fly CG!

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: jaxops on December 21, 2018, 07:13:34 AM
Congratulations!  I have the same problem...everything works fine and suddenly the next time you use the car, Pow! Smack! Whamo!  New problems.  My issue is probably the rheostat on the headlight switch....yay, I foolishly turned it and now, no dashlights.
You are not alone with that problem! Indeed, it's a discutable design which creates that situation: the contact between the rheostat and the main switch is not foolproof: a bit metal is pushing against another one. If oxydation is coming between both, no light. Remove the rheostat, clean the contacts, reassemble, not forgetting some contact grease. You will be good till next time!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

jaxops

1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on December 22, 2018, 03:44:04 AM
You are not alone with that problem! Indeed, it's a discutable design which creates that situation: the contact between the rheostat and the main switch is not foolproof: a bit metal is pushing against another one. If oxydation is coming between both, no light. Remove the rheostat, clean the contacts, reassemble, not forgetting some contact grease. You will be good till next time!

Why not just get a new headlight switch? They're like $30, I just googled them.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on December 22, 2018, 11:09:10 AM
Why not just get a new headlight switch? They're like $30, I just googled them.
Laurie, I don't know what you saw. However, I doubt that this kind of headlight switch is available as new. Furthermore, it will not solve the rheostat issue as this is a separate assembly and the critical point is the electrical connexion between the switch and the rheostat unit.
The light switch in the picture is from a '57 car; it's very similar to the '59-'60 unit.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on December 22, 2018, 11:39:23 AM
Laurie, I don't know what you saw. However, I doubt that this kind of headlight switch is available as new. Furthermore, it will not solve the rheostat issue as this is a separate assembly and the critical point is the electrical connexion between the switch and the rheostat unit.
The light switch in the picture is from a '57 car; it's very similar to the '59-'60 unit.

I'd check your part number interchange list, Mike Josephic is legendary for this. It seems the correct switch for a '57 is #1995080. And a 59-60 is #1995097. This is what came up from a quick google search for both.
https://www.classicindustries.com/product/all-years/chevrolet/belair/parts/1995095.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAgf3gBRDtARIsABgdL3nTjsrv_qLb4uo0fA7TfQB5C724dUceHfZDgUG9C_9x0nqRWWsJY9IaAkWfEALw_wcB
https://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-headlight-switch-1957.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o4&scid=scplp57-134453-1&sc_intid=57-134453-1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAgf3gBRDtARIsABgdL3kMHEUZvk_rzWaZu0gL3NFnfzUJw_lRUigEogQPXvPYaYljuUjuAOwaAit8EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

CaddyDaddy seems to have the 'correct' part in stock, for a mortgage payment.

Also this came up before on this forum, note someone using a Buick part. Gotta believe the Chevy parts might work.
http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=132718.0

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Roger Zimmermann

Laurie, those switches may be usable with some modifications as the Cadillac connector is different. The installation of the switch may also require some imagination. There must be a reason why CaddyDaddy is selling those for some more money!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101