News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

I filled up my '70 with gas this morning.

Started by chrisntam, October 10, 2021, 04:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dochawk

a note on gas quality . . . "Top Tier" is from the car manufacturers, not the oil & gas companies.  It's a standard for levels of detergent and such that Cadillac, the Japanese, and German manufacturers came up with as compression was climbing (i.e., Northstar).   Anyway, it's an indicator that you have quality cleaners.  I'm not aware of any brand that saves the best cleaners for premium anymore (but there might be).

As for mileage, I once got 16mpg in an Impala 400.  It at a two barrel on the 400cid engine and turbo-400 transmission.  We drove a steady 60 from San Jose to San Diego.
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

MeToo

I can get 12-13 MPG highway in a '76 FWB cruising at 65mph with 98 octane fuel and moderate AC use

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Keeping "out of" the secondaries and maintaining a steady speed I usually get 14-16 MPG in my 76 CdV at a steady 80 between San Antonio and Corpus Christi, a 150 mile jaunt on nearly all flat roads.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

The Tassie Devil(le)

When I was driving my '72 around USA and Canada in 2008, the best I ever got was 18 MPG, and the car seemed to be really nice at around 75 to 80 MPH on the Massachusetts Turnpike, not using Cruise Control.

And this was accomplished with an engine that had the nylon missing from the cam gear as it turned out.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

James Landi

Bruce,

You must have had a good tail wind, it certainly helps to get you those extra miles per gallon.  With more modern Cadillacs with 4100's out of the early '80's, a headwind made a significant negative difference in gas mileage (as well as one's ability to keep up with highway traffic)!  Happy day, James

Cadman-iac

The best I ever got out of the 69 Deville I had back in 86-89, was right at 16 mpg at 75-80 mph between Tucson and El Paso and back. That's going over the continental divide near Deming New Mexico.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I use non-ethanol Marathon Premium for my 4.9 '91 Seville. It has new injectors, and yesterday, turned over 31,000. I haven't punched the button lately to see what my mileage is now as we drive quite a bit less since the Pandemic hit and also, the past year, we had fewer health issues to make 50 mile round trips to "town."

While it's nice to get "better" gas mileage, I agree that when you need fuel, simply go fill it up and don't worry too much about it.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville