News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Xenon Headlamps 1936-1975

Started by Jeff Maltby #4194, January 08, 2005, 03:56:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Maltby #4194

6 & 12 volt units-fit round 7" and 5 3/4" bulbs with no wiring mods needed.

http://www.oldcarstuff.com TARGET=_blank>www.oldcarstuff.com

:<)

Bill Ingler CLC#7799

Thanks Jeff for posting that web site. I also see they  are the ones selling a very good repro of the original A/C radiator caps for our Cadillacs. I saw these caps this year at Hershey,very good but a tad expensive.The six volt Xenon sealed beams would be nice to have on my 41 or 47 but I hesitate to make the change due to the amps reguired verses the output of the generator. The 41-48 generator has a rated output of 32-37 amps.The Xenon bulbs on the web site say a 60 watt draw. I think converted to amps that is around 9 amps per bulb and that means about half the output of the generator would go just for the headlamps. I now need to figure what would be the remaining draw in amps from all the rest of the car lamps and assesories before I know the full draw on the generator as well as calculating the draw on the car headlamp wires. Jeff, do you have these type bulbs on your 49? I would like to hear from anybody who has them installed giving your opinion of the bulbs and if the original generator will support the total draw.  Thanks

Jeff Maltby #4194

Good morning Bill. I came across the website in the Hemmings "Classic Car magazine, of which was a blessing to find being published once again ala hemmings old-defunct Special Interest Auto mag.

I have a pair of nos Guide bulbs for my 49, thus have no experience with the quartz conversion bulbs listed in their "excellent website".

Jeff 49 fastback

Bob Laughon

The sealed beam bulb introduced in 1940 and used in 1941 was a 20 watt bulb on low beam and 27 watts on high.  The T-3 sealed beam bulb introduced in 1956 was 35 watts on low beam and 45 watts on high beam.  Strictly speaking, the generators used in 1941 cars, including Cadillac, did not put out enough amps to power this bulb, and manufacturers increased the capacity of generators at that time to handle the new bulb.  Still later, the #6006 sealed beam bulb was introduced, which has 40 watts on low beam and 50 watts on high beam.  Now we have a Xenon bulb which needs even more power.  Is there any way to rewind a '41 generator to handle these newer bulbs, or is there a later model generator that puts out enough amps and will fit our motors without major modification?

TJ Hopland

60 watts at 6 volts = 10 amps
60 watts at 6.5 volts = 9.3 amps  I assume this would be a minimum system voltage with engine running?
60 watts at 5.5 volts =10.9 amps  I assume this would be possible after a start while generator is trying to recover the battery after a start?

20 watts at 6 volts = 3.4 amps
20 watts at 6.5 volts = 3.1 amps
20 watts at 5.5 volts = 3.6 amps

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Doug Houston

This information is good, because, while the new bright lights kick out more candlepower, the cost is in more current drain from the system.....the generator.

Can a 6 Volt generator be rewound for higher current? Not for the current you'd need for these high output lights. DC generators have a limitation for output on two counts. They have a severe speed limitation, which limits the amount of voltage and amperage you can get put of them. Too many RPM, and they'll fly to pieces. Too much current drawn from windings through the commutator, and the carbon graphite brushes will have a radically shortened life. The generators that were used in  the last 6 volt GM cars (Delco electrical equipment) were in 1954, and had about n45 amperes capacity, if memory serves.

The bottom line here is, that while there are nice upgrades available like these lights, the cars we have just simply bcan't accomodate them.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Jeff Maltby 4194

http://www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com/alternator/index.html

This is an excellent site. Covers 6v alts-electric fuel pumps-hot starting problems etc.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500