News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Yeah, Right! Ebay again.

Started by John Tozer #7946, December 03, 2006, 10:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Tozer #7946

Can someone PLEASE find out what this scam is about for us..... it may be a new one that we arent all used to yet:

Item # 150066759986

Sorry I cant provide the direct link.

John Tozer

Johnny #662

Quote from: John Tozer #7946Can someone PLEASE find out what this scam is about for us..... it may be a new one that we arent all used to yet:

Item # 150066759986

Sorry I cant provide the direct link.

John Tozer

No matter where you click on the window of this item, all you get is a email to him.

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

Well, John, the guy has about $1000 of the $4800 in the batwings alone, so I would say that he is either brimming over with the milk of human kindness at this time of year, letting the car go cheap in a divorce settlement so his wife doesnt get full value, or that you need to get the NSA to check the shadows in the area, and find out where the car is by global positioning. Then, call and see if he is located in the same area.
Most likely, the guy is providing pictures of an actual car that has nothing to do with the auction he is running.
If you check tomorrow morning, you will probably find out that he wants an immediate answer, funds transferred by wire, as he has fourteen other bidders on hold, and he will honor your "buy it now" if you send the money right away, because "you sound like a great guy..."
On second thought, ask him to drop a grand off of the $4800 as the parade boot is missing...Start picking the car apart and maybe youll pi.. him off. This sounds a lot like the little old lady selling the "Chevrolet" her late son left in the garage while he was off in Vietnam for $250.00, turning out to be a 1957 Corvette. Way, way too good to be true.
Which way to the "egress..."

Jerry

Item? What item? (not found)

What car was it that he was supposedly selling?

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1 TARGET=_blank>http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1
&catref=C6&fcl=3&from=R10&ftid=2&fcd=1&satitle=150066759986&sacat=-
1percent26catrefpercent3DC6&sargn=-1percent26saslcpercent3D2&sadis=200&fpos=13080&ftrt=1&ft
rv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1percent26fsoopercent3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=
1&coentrypage=search&fvi=1

Try this.

Bruce,
you know the rest.

Mike Simmons (938)

From my experience folks, the perps must be seeking computer addresses- when every link you hit produces the same eMail address-and you send a request to it, thats what they automatically get. I dont know what they do with your address, though it might mean they can send you some sort of spyware since they know the address is active.

Dave

Five minutes after I checked it, it came back as being removed. They got that one quickly.

John Tozer #7946

Mike,

This is actually quite scary! I noticed that, no matter where you clicked on the screen for this item (I tried, for example, to check both the sellers ID and his feedback) I got an invitation to send him an email.

There can be only one reason for this and it aint a good one!

IF it was possible to "talk" to someone at Ebay we might prevent this from happening again. I am going to try sending a note to spoof@ebay.com about it but suspect I will get there standard, automated, non-human initiated reply.

By any assessment I have never had this happen before, there are now two examples of it and the message has to be "Dont be suckered into actually sending the email".

Regards,

John Tozer

harry carlson

I am proud to report that I reported 2 of those phony Caddy listings to eBay yesterday.  The first one showed up when I searched for 57-58 caddys.  

Tipoffs:

1.  The car is hugely underpriced.  What a steal!

2.  The car looks familiar.  I think I saw it on eBay recently, probably being sold in a legit eBay auction.

3.  The car was supposedly in Massachusetts but the photos showed the car posed among palm trees!  Not many palm trees in Mass!

4.  No matter where you click on the listing you get sent to a window to email the guy.  (I assume it is a guy.)

5.  The guy wants you to email hime directly instead of using normal eBay procedure.  ("My eBay mail doesnt work right, it is very slow.")

On the Cadillac Mailing List one Caddy lover said he lived 5 miles from the supposed location of the car so he attempted to contact the seller to see the car.  The guy wanted him to immediately send a check to Budapest!

I emailed eBay, and a little while later the listing was pulled.  Then a few more hours later, it reappeared under another item number!  Neither item numbers were the one you reported here.  I emailed eBay again and again it was pulled.

I wonder what car he is using at the moment to scam somewhere else.  I also wonder how he can get a totally phony website into eBay that looks exactly like a real auction but doesnt act like one.  And I wonder why eBay cant seem to prevent this.

jan #17589

Hi,
it looks like he is using one of Luvdgs cars.
Check on ebay. All his cars are standig with that tree in the background

John Tozer # 7946

I shoulda knowed!

Herewith the (automatically generated) response from Spoof@ebay.com:

"ALERT: Your email has not been received by eBay.

We reserve the spoof@ebay.com email address for handling reports of Websites that have been set up to impersonate eBay. In order to investigate these reports in a timely manner and provide help to members who have been affected by this type of activity, we only accept emails that are forwarded to this address......

.....If you have any other concerns, please use our Help system by clicking on "help" at the top of the eBay home page."

....and we all know what happens when we use Ebays "help" section!

I live in hope.....

John Tozer