News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Recent posts

General Discussion / LaSalle Taillight lens
Last post by JohnWNY - Today at 04:54:23 PM
Need one taillight lens for my 1939 LaSale Series 50.  Does anyone know where I can purchase one or does anyone have a lens for sale?

Thank you.

Dennis Bray  #16996
General Discussion / Re: At home tire/wheel balanci...
Last post by TJ Hopland - Today at 03:46:40 PM
I think the having weights opposite sides is the 'operator' just blindly following what the machine is telling them and apparently you can get into situations where they just keep adding weights till they run out of weights or space to mount them which ever comes first.  That is apparently when the skill comes in and a skilled person would remove the existing weights and re mount the tire on the machine and try again this time paying extra attention to see if something isn't right.  That is also when they can try things like re mounting the tire rotated on the rim to see if that makes a difference. 

My guess these days is about 93.6593% of the people that work in tire shops fall into that category of blindly follow what the machine says.  On one of my many returns to a tire shop to try and at least get it so the weights didn't fly off a few blocks from the shop at less than 20mph I asked the guy what would happen if he balanced the wheel then set it on the floor then put it back on the machine?  He said he tried that and it would be out of balance.  I said I ain't no technician but doesn't that seem like a problem?  He then said my wheels don't really fit on their machine because they are missing a part......  again I said seems like that could be a problem.....  then I met the owner of the shop and wow I don't know how they stayed in biz.  The did go out of biz about a year later. 
Last post by Cadman-iac - Today at 02:19:58 PM
 Hi Bruce,

Having seen that done and actually using one a couple times, I want to warn you that when you balance this way you are actually balancing all of the rotating assembly, that is your tire, rotor or drum included. It's recommended that you mark your wheel and the rotor/ drum so if removed you can reinstall it in the same position. Otherwise you will have a worse balancing issue than you did previously.
 Don't move the wheel/tire to another position on the car as that eliminates any balance you had.

As to the technical reasons why weights can be placed opposite each other, I don't know. I've seen it work though.  I  questioned that too and never got a satisfactory answer.

Rick
Last post by bcroe - Today at 01:49:33 PM
Long ago I saw a machine wheeled up to spin my
front tires on the car, then a unit inserted in
place of a wheel cover was adjusted to make it
run smooth.  Then it told where weight was needed. 
I saw one of these make my tire perfectly smooth
at 120 mph.  Rear, guess the best way was move 
the tire from the front to the rear after balancing. 

I have gotten such equipment but running it remains
as a future project.  Wish someone would tell me
what is with putting a pair of weights on opposite
sides and rotation on a tire, 2 identical weights
will not compensate for a tire heavy on one side. 
Bruce Roe
The new support came from Caddy Daddy over the weekend.  Comparing the one I have installed to this one, I can see the new one has a slightly different pitch than the one that is installed.  So it could easily explain why I had to shim the transmission up so much to make it go away.  Both supports are the same exact height, and appear to be identical housings....but the rubber piece that is vulcanized onto it is at a different angle.  I hope this fixes it.
General Discussion / Re: 1960 Carter Gasket
Last post by Clewisiii - Today at 01:12:54 PM
Unfortunately my conversation with whoever I gave my Carter shim to was in the lost era on the forum. I don't know who I sent it to.
General Discussion / Re: 1960 Carter Gasket
Last post by Clewisiii - Today at 01:08:11 PM
I had a spare tin shim that I did not need from my parts car. I have it away in a previous thread to someone in Chicago. I don't know if he took it just for a spare or if he needed it. Maybe he can reach out if he wants to make it available.

The phenolic spacer I think you need to hunt down an original. I don't know if anyone makes a new one.

My gaskets I bought a felpro set.