News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac 4 door flat top package tray

Started by ericdel, January 11, 2016, 07:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericdel

I am replacing my package tray and want to buy one with a right and left side speaker option.  Does anyone know if these are manufactured or am I going to have to make my own and cover with the correct mesh.
Thanks in advance for any help.
1959 Cadillac 6239

Brett Baird

B Baird
'41 Fleetwood 60 S  http://bit.ly/1jwgEWm
'59 Sedan DeVille 6339 "Flat-top"  http://bit.ly/1jwgUF1

n2caddies

I found a material at my upholsterer's shop that was very similar to the original package tray material and dyed it the correct color. Recovered the original tray.  I think it was Sunbrella brand. Mounted the speakers from underneath and did not cut any holes in the package tray so you could not see any modifications. The material was open enough to let the sound through. This was on a 60 flat top with a custom auto sound radio. Put the dual voice speaker in the stock front dash speaker location and it worked very well.
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

CadillacMac

I would say beware the Ebay option, unless you're OK with the material being a little different quality than the original.  (You just can't replicate the OEM quality with anything!?)

I ordered it up, added a second speaker option, and everything was great, good custom job.  But it was flimsy, thin mesh.  Nothing like the thickness of the original.  I think they could have stepped it up with a thicker mesh, but I didn't fight them on it. Most people I asked laughed at me because they thought it looked great--but I didn't ask anyone in here!

I have pictures of the difference if you'd like to see it. 
“Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine. Ain't nowhere else in the world where you can go from driving a truck to a Cadillac overnight.”
― Elvis Presley

David King (kz78hy)

If you are looking for a stereo speaker arrangement on the package shelf, there is no OE version out there as stereo was not available in '59.  Those would have to be custom made.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

jdemerson

I purchased the rear package tray for my 1952 Cadillac 6219X.  Originally I got a package tray that did not fit -- wrong model entirely. But the eBay supplier and the company that manufactured it, REM Automotive Inc., took my measurements and entered them into their computerized manufacturing process and supplied a shelf tray that fits perfectly.  Both speaker grill and outlet for rear window "defroster" (a fan) are right. The surface of the tray is not a perfect match for the original, so if you want perfect originality this is not the way to go. I am very happy with mine and it looks great and is good quality. I installed a piece of carpet pad underneath it for added sound insulation.

Chances are good (not perfect) that they will have the right part with the right dimensions for your '59.  But it wouldn't hurt to call Mike.  You can mention my name. To the best of my knowledge, no one else makes replacement trays at least for '50s Cadillacs.

Here is the e-mail address of the manager at REM Automotive who provided me with very good support:   sales@remautoinc.com    His name is Mike Miller.   REM does not sell directly and your eBay source is one of their vendors. 

Good luck!

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac 6219X Sedan
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn