News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

power steering whine

Started by TonyZappone #2624, January 06, 2016, 05:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gene Beaird

While not a Cadillac, we did have a 95 Caprice that was my wife's daily-driver.  It was turned into an 'Impala SS clone' by changing the front grill, and adding Impala SS look alike 17" wheels and tires.  I can only suspect those tires, and the fact that my wife likes to turn the wheel with the car stopped, caused the pump to start to get noisy.  There were no leaks, and the fluid was always full, although it started looking 'muddy'.  I sucked the fluid out using what was equivalent to a turkey-baster (actually a medical suction bulb) with a piece of tubing attached to it to get as much fluid out as I could.  I then replaced the fluid with some synthetic power steering fluid we used on our race car.  The whining/growling went immediately away.  It would come back about once a year, so I'd just change it again.  Other then the noise, we had no other issues with the steering.  Not sure I'd replace the PSF every oil change, but replacing it to see if we can forego a pump replacement is certainly something I'd try. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873