News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Recent posts

General Discussion / Re: POLL: What's the newest Ca...
Last post by scotth3886 - Today at 11:44:25 AM
I had five new ones from a 93 and 95 STS, 97 Concours and a 2000 and 2002 DTS.  This was before most of us knew about the Northstar issues of which I had none except a crank sensor on my 97.  I drag raced all of them and ran the Nevada Silver State open road race in my 97.  I had little to complain about. 

Technical / Authenticity / Re: 1940 Lasalle electrical
Last post by Jay Friedman - Today at 11:28:57 AM
Quote from: Ben Medlock on Today at 07:56:48 AMHmmmm. So, regarding my generator, is it possible it is a 12V generator since I'm checking 12V with a volt meter? Or, are all generators the same? I'm a lot better with mechanical issues than electrical. These 6V positive ground systems have always baffled me. Does the power from the generator go through the voltage "regulator" to get regulated down to 6V or.... what?

The power from the generator goes through the voltage "regulator" to get regulated.  But not "down to 6 volts".  Both the generator and the regulator must be the same voltage and also the same amperage.
In 1972 Eldos had an internally regulated alternator. RWD didn't get one until 73
Greg Surfas
I don't think I have ever tried to take a socket apart before.  I would assume this is a dual filament bulb which has those side pegs at different heights to in theory only allow it to be installed in the correct orientation.  I wonder if maybe someone tried really hard to get one in the wrong direction?  Maybe look where the pegs engage and see if the metal is bent, maybe you can bend it back?
General Discussion / Re: Wire Harness
Last post by TJ Hopland - Today at 11:08:38 AM
I too would say its for an external voltage regulator which makes sense since I believe we are talking about a 72 and the first year for the internal was 73.  The alternator in the picture looks like an internal regulator.   
Thanks, Greg.
What should I do about the front turn signal light bulb, which seems not to want to go in the socket?
Thanks, Joe
General Discussion / Re: Lincoln vs. Cadillac | Don...
Last post by jwwseville60 - Today at 10:50:11 AM
Both are advisable for smooth transportation and unbridled elegance.
Apples and oranges.
General Discussion / Re: POLL: What's the newest Ca...
Last post by jwwseville60 - Today at 10:46:59 AM
After that the styling loses me.
I do like Caddy's that are newer, but Im living in the past
and loving it.
Send me pictures
Joe,
As long as it goes to someplace where there are no Emission testing requirements, a de activated AIR system should not do anything but mess up the carb calibration.
Greg Surfas