News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Does anyone have a space save tire for sale for my 74 Eldo?

Started by collector, June 09, 2008, 02:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

collector

I had one lined up and my friend gave it to another friend. Needless to say he isn't my friend anylonger. Please let me know. Thank you

Johnny

Quote from: collector on June 09, 2008, 02:39:20 PM
I had one lined up and my friend gave it to another friend. Needless to say he isn't my friend anylonger. Please let me know. Thank you

Just curious.  Why would someone want a space saver over a full size spare tire?

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Johnny on June 09, 2008, 02:56:03 PM
Just curious.  Why would someone want a space saver over a full size spare tire?   
To save space?

I would like one to carry in my car when I travel around and across USA after the GN as I will be needing trunk space for all our luggage, and other trinkets that I might pick up along the way.

I have rarely ever used a spare tyre, since I started buying new tyres way back when, and when one is aware of the restrictions when having to use a Space-saver, it isn't a problem.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Johnny

Quote from: The Tassie Deville) on June 09, 2008, 08:01:59 PM
Quote from: Johnny on June 09, 2008, 02:56:03 PM
To save space?

I would like one to carry in my car when I travel around and across USA after the GN as I will be needing trunk space for all our luggage, and other trinkets that I might pick up along the way.

I have rarely ever used a spare tyre, since I started buying new tyres way back when, and when one is aware of the restrictions when having to use a Space-saver, it isn't a problem.

Ah Brucie Baby, loved your answer, as it gives me a chance to juxtapose this thread with another.  One which I asked "why fire extinguishers were required?" to which I got received a logical and understandable reason.  Keeping that in mind, yes a space saver will "save space", but is the extra small space saved, worth giving up the safety of having a real spare tire, in lieu of a "space saver" that has to depend on a can of pressurized air to fill it?  Especially for someone that is going to travel across the fruited plains of the USA,  from From the mountains, to the prairies,
to the oceans white with foam.  I am under the impression that full size spare tires were standard equipment, up until 1977, when Cadillac drastically downsized most of the line, and the space savers were a quick fix, to enable the advertising department to state all the room the trunk had.  I would hate to think that our good friend from down under, should be the victim of a flat tire while travelling through Death Valley, and after removing all his prized trinkets, to get to his space saver, finds out that the can of air, fails him!  Oh, the humanity!"

Johnny

Quote from: South_paw on June 09, 2008, 09:52:08 PM
I got the solution, put a Continental kit on it ;D ;D

By jove, I think you got it.... ;D ;D ;D  That is brilliant!

collector

Asking why I want a "SPACE SAVING" tire is a little ridiculous wouldn't you say! First, never in my entire life and 40 cars later,have I had a need for the spare. Second, the tire when inflated becomes the exact size as the other tires. If you didn't know this, the convertible's trunk tire is shoved to the side, rather than the coupe's center mount. So it makes the trunk almost useless esp. when you have the parade boots. Lastly, the "space saver" tire was offered in the 72 and up as an option. and yes it makes a HUGE difference. I hope that answers your question. 

Ted in Olympia WA

I have sold several of these in the past (sorry don't have one right now) and I always wonder why someone would want one?  They normally sell for around a $100.

If you don't ever need one and you carry AAA you don't need one.  So you can just leave the tire out and have a lot more room.  Once you get towed in you can buy a tire at the nearest tire dealer.

Also you do realize that a 1972 tire is 36 years old and you have to carry the CO2 to blow it up.

But they do look cool in the trunk.  They are also truly amazing how they blow up to full size.

I had a blow out in my mini-van a year ago, like new tire.  Sure supprised the hell out of me.

If I come accross one I will let you know.

TED
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Johnny on June 09, 2008, 11:46:46 PM
Quote from: South_paw on June 09, 2008, 09:52:08 PM
I got the solution, put a Continental kit on it ;D ;D 
By jove, I think you got it.... ;D ;D ;D  That is brilliant! 
Now, this isn't as silly as it sounds.

You see, what I had in mind was having a look at the Space-saver, and then comparing it with the "Artificial Continental Kit Covers" that one sees on the HT4100 powered Eldorados.

To me, they seem like about the same or similar in size, and therefore it wouldn't take me much to construct one, on the same lines that I did when I decided I needed more trunk space in my '55 Chevrolet Convertible, way back in 1976, when attending the Street Rod Nationals on the big Island of Australia.   With two small children, and camping in a tent, we needed the extra space.

With the Chev, I made the conversion using another '55 Chev rear bumper bar, and a '36 Ford Tread Ring.

The Red Convertible I saw at the '02 GN in Dearborn was the first one I had actually seen and it was with total shock when I realised that there was nothing inside it.   Nil, Zilch, and not even a tool kit in there to utilise the wasted void.

Now, I have a spare rear Eldorado Bumper Bar, which needs re-chroming, and therefore would be the ideal candidate for adapting, but alas, not the time to craft it into the required accessory before I need it.   That will have to be a task for when I get everything home.   Plus, if I did have it on, it would probably be just that much too long to fit the car into a 20 foot container.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

Here are the other pictures.

The Full-sized tyre would look way out of place on the rear of the Eldo, unlike the Chev which has a taller trunk.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Johnny on June 09, 2008, 08:25:28 PM
I would hate to think that our good friend from down under, should be the victim of a flat tire while travelling through Death Valley, and after removing all his prized trinkets, to get to his space saver, finds out that the can of air, fails him!  Oh, the humanity!"
G'day Johnny,

I have learned from lots of travelling that one always packs the spare tyre in last, especially if it is one of those "under the parcel shelf type", or close to the rear, with the jack and other tools.

And, yes, I intend to traverse Death Valley, on our way to San Francisco, and nothing like driving a Convertible, with the A/C turned on full, and the top up to stop the wind and sunburning.

PS.   With new tyres, and checking inflation pressures, blowouts are few and far between for me.   Never had a blowout in my life, and don't intend to either.   Punctures are very rare as well.

PPS.   And, not a problem if I don't get the pressure can to fill the Space-saver.   Just use a 12 volt mini compressor.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Johnny

Quote from: collector on June 10, 2008, 12:11:39 AM
Asking why I want a "SPACE SAVING" tire is a little ridiculous wouldn't you say! First, never in my entire life and 40 cars later,have I had a need for the spare. Second, the tire when inflated becomes the exact size as the other tires. If you didn't know this, the convertible trunk tire is shoved to the side, rather than the coupe's center mount. So it makes the trunk almost useless esp. when you have the parade boots. Lastly, the "space saver" tire was offered in the 72 and up as an option. and yes it makes a HUGE difference. I hope that answers your question. 

No I don't think it was ridiculous asking.  I think it was a entirely legitimate question, as witnessed by the responses and varied replies.  Allow me to address your comments.

-You state that you have never needed the use of a spare, in your entire life.  Apparently a few others have stated the same thing.  I would concede that given the need of a spare is probably minimal, given the unaccountable number of cars and miles driven each year by individuals.  Of course this statement begs the question, "why take a spare at all?".  Lets take it one step further, why stop with just a spare tire?  Why not other spare parts, i.e. hoses, belts etc.  Could it be that carrying a spare tire, that statistically really isn't needed is a gigantic conspiracy by the tire manufacturers, or is it just a continuation of the tradition of the early years of the automobile, when drivers carried multi-spares?

-My experience with "space savers" started in 1977 when a friend of mine. bought a brand new Eldorado, and the dealer replaced the space saver with a full size tire, and of course charged extra for it.  As I remember the spare tire was center mounted on the '77 Eldorado. maybe someone can correct me if I am mistaken.  I also purchased a '77 Eldorado, and requested a full size spare.

-It is my contention that if a person is taking a extended road trip, that safety, convenience and comfort should come first.  If I was faced with the decision of taking a parade boot or a full size spare, well.........I think you get the idea.  If one expects to bring back more then they come with, and those found treasures are so important, they have 2 very viable options.  Get a hitch and rent a trailer.....or.......have the items shipped home.

-I think it should be also mentioned, that while space savers do serve a purpose, their use is limited as far as speed and distance.  Isn't it recommended that they be replaced as soon as possible with a "real" tire?  I suppose most times this wouldn't be a problem if the flat happened close to home, and a person could be selective as to where they were going to buy a tire.  It could be a whole different story, if someone were on a trip in a strange area, or country if you will, and was at the mercy of the store they went to purchase a replacement.

-In this discussion, there isn't a right or a wrong, its a matter of what a person is comfortable with.  Myself, I am comfortable with leasing, so I have the benefit of roadside service from GM, which assures a trouble free trip, no matter what goes wrong.  And yes I have used it a few times over the years, and even once for a flat tire.  I was travelling south on I-75 in Florida, when all of a sudden, the "check tire pressure" light came on.  I pulled over to the shoulder, and saw that I had run over a bolt in the road.  I immediately called Buick roadside service and within 20 minutes a tow truck was on the scene and had the tire changed, free of charge.  Oh yes it was space saver.

collector

Well, I'm sorry you were mis-informed about when the tire became available. As for not keeping a spare in the car isn't something I need to even explain. If you go to shows you know that it is necessary to have everything in place, correct and working. BTW, I own a cell phone and have AAA, so I'm not worried about a breakdown. If the car did have a tire go flat, or a break down or a hose burst or anything for that matter, I can be towed to a near bye service station. The rim is a standard Eldorado rim, if you didn't know that. This is really a moot point as it is what I want, it is an option and it will save me space in my trunk. I don't need to keep spare parts in any car. If you owned an Collector car instead of leasing, you would know what is required for judging.  I'm glad you were able to vent your frustrations but I think I have answered your ALL question. Have a nice day!

Johnny

Quote from: collector on June 10, 2008, 06:30:02 PM
Well, I'm sorry you were misinformed about when the tire became available. As for not keeping a spare in the car isn't something I need to even explain. If you go to shows you know that it is necessary to have everything in place, correct and working. BTW, I own a cell phone and have AAA, so I'm not worried about a breakdown. If the car did have a tire go flat, or a break down or a hose burst or anything for that matter, I can be towed to a near bye service station. The rim is a standard Eldorado rim, if you didn't know that. This is really a moot point as it is what I want, it is an option and it will save me space in my trunk. I don't need to keep spare parts in any car. If you owned an Collector car instead of leasing, you would know what is required for judging.  I'm glad you were able to vent your frustrations but I think I have answered your ALL question. Have a nice day!

I do believe a couple of clarifications are in order.  To begin with I am not frustrated nor venting, I am simply trying engage in an intelligent conversation concerning the use or non use of a space saver.  I am not trying to be judgemental, or take sides one way or the other, as I fully realize its just a personal decision one makes, that they think best suits them.  My decision would be to go for less space and more convenience.  Please don't think you ever need to explain any of your actions one way of the other, as to be quite frank, I really don't care.  I am just interested in exchanging opinions not peoples personal lives or needs.

While I am, and have been a Cadillac enthusiasts for well over 55 years, I have never felt the need to know everything little about Cadillacs, such as when options were first available.  As stated before, the first time I became aware of space savers was in 1977, when a friend fo mine purchased a 1977 Eldorado, and the dealer substituted the space saver for a full size tire.

I readily admit to being somewhat overly irrational about "breakdowns", and that's why I do lease my everyday cars.  Sure with the use of a cell phone and being a member of AAA, does alleviate some of the problems associated with "breakdowns".  Of course when you factor in Murphy's Law, receiving prompt attention to your problem, might not come as fast as you might want.

Yes I do have a "collector" car, and over the years have attended many shows with it and in fact it is a CLC senior car, and get this, it has a space saver tire, as they were standard equipment in '85 Eldorados. 

wrefakis