News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Upper Ball Joint Boots 0r Covers

Started by Steve W, Today at 12:48:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve W

The upper ball joints on my 68 deVille are fine, but the rubber boots are worn/torn, allowing the grease to exit any time it wants to.

I'm utilizing the seach feature here and don't see an answer. Looking online too and can't find anything...

Are there replacement boots available? Or do you have to replace the entire ball joint just because the rubber boot is shot?
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

Big Fins

I would say to start an  on-line search for the dust boots. If you don't know how, I would also suggest getting the upper joints at least looked at before just buying boots. They may be worn to the point of replacement.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Cadman-iac

Steve,

Big Fins is correct, you should consider replacing the upper joints on your car.
 The way Cadillac designed the suspension on these the upper joint is used to adjust the alignment with an eccentric cam integrated into the joint.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Clewisiii

I replaced the upper ball joints on my 61 twice just because I wanted to recoat the frame. The second set ended up being a different brand then the first. The boots were different between the two. One would not fit the other.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering