News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1950 Delco Remy Starter gear clicks out but won't spin!

Started by ToddH, May 16, 2024, 05:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToddH

1950 Cadillac original Delco Remy Starter WAS working ok but I took it off to repaint the outside along with oil pan, etc.  I must have jostled something as I put it back on because silence/nothing...  So, I took the starter off, bench tested it and the solenoid clicks the gear out but the gear barely spun.  Ok, so then I took it all apart, put new brushes on and cleaned everything!  Put it back together and the gear still clicks out but now it won't spin at all. UGH. 

Bad clutch housing, armature, solenoid, coils or???  Everything seems to be wired back correctly, battery fully charged. Thank you for any help!
Todd Hollander
1950 Cadillac Series 62

Cadillac Jack 82

Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

The Tassie Devil(le)

Check the contacts in the back of the Solenoid are in good condition, and that the copper disc is still in place to complete the power transfer when the solenoid is fully retracted.

These are designed to not rotate until the Bendix is fully engaged with the Ring Gear.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jeff Hansen

Todd,

You mentioned you painted the starter.  Make sure ALL mounting surfaces are clean bare metal - no paint!  This goes for the solenoid, too.  Everything has to ground to complete the electrical circuit.

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Big Fins

Bruce mentioned a copper disc in the solenoid. This takes a beating. If you remove the cap and can take the disc out, it can be put on a wire wheel to polish it, or just invert it (flip it over) to a brand new side.

Yeah, we used to do that back in the day at the cheapie rebuild shops.  :(
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

ToddH

GENIUSES, all of you!! I took apart the solenoid to check on the copper disc washer and yep, it was totally pitted and marred. The other side was perfect so polished it, rotated the screw head, cleaned everything else and put it all back together.  The disc wasn't contacting the two solenoid screws very well either as the whole setup was skewed a bit so I straightened out what I could. 

I AlSO scraped off any painted areas that may have had grounding issues.  I then bench tested it with my 6 volt battery and TA DA!!  Hooked it back up and she starts like a charm.  Huge relief, thank you men!! 

PS - This car has been in our family since 1962!  We used it as our wedding car in 1988.  It was my uncles this whole time until last year when he turned 93 and asked if we wanted to buy it from him.  Heck ya.  Memories for a lifetime... 
Todd Hollander
1950 Cadillac Series 62