News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1968 CDV Convertible wont start

Started by Finatillac, June 05, 2008, 04:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finatillac

Another finatillac and I took possession of a rather nice "barn find" 68 CDV convertible today.  The car started and drove right out, however when we got it home and shut it off, it would not restart.  No clicks or groans.  There seems to be plenty of electricity flowing in the car.  Does this car have a nuetral safety switch that could be causing a problem? Or does this sound like the starter has given up the ghost.  Any insight would be appreciated.

Birmingham Finatillac
Jeffrey Klinner, CLC 19116

57 Eldorado Brougham
68 CDV Convertible
91 Brougham d'elegance

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Finatillac on June 05, 2008, 04:48:48 PM
Another finatillac and I took possession of a rather nice "barn find" 68 CDV convertible today.  The car started and drove right out, however when we got it home and shut it off, it would not restart.  No clicks or groans.  There seems to be plenty of electricity flowing in the car.  Does this car have a nuetral safety switch that could be causing a problem? Or does this sound like the starter has given up the ghost.  Any insight would be appreciated.

Birmingham Finatillac

57 Eldorado Brougham
68 CDV Convertible
91 Brougham d'elegance

06-04-08
Jeffrey, sounds like the "nuetral-safety-switch" requires attention, to me. Good Luck,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

John Fotakis #23436

Hi, when you say "plenty of electricity" what do you mean exactly? It would help narrow down the list of possible culprits to know where and what you are measuring.  Cheers, John

grinch

Try starting it in neutral, sometimes the contacts in that position are less worn.  Sometimes.  Be sure not to have anyone standing in the way when you start it.  Not the safest way to start it, without the parking pawls engaged.  Definitely engage the emergency brake if it isn't frozen.  Good luck.
Peter Mason CLC #24665
Charlotte, NC
1968 Deville Convertible in progress
1989 Sedan DeVille

TJ Hopland

If the park neutral switch is the same as the 73 and other GM cars it has a cast piece with the vacuum connections and clamp that goes around the steering column and then the plastic switch portion is held to the metal part with a couple of tiny cast tabs that seem to break easily.   I dont remember the details but when mine came apart I found an easy way to hold it together with nylon wire ties.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

James Maguire

Quote from: Finatillac on June 05, 2008, 04:48:48 PM

Birmingham Finatillac

57 Eldorado Brougham
68 CDV Convertible
91 Brougham d'elegance

Yes, you have a neutral safety switch. Sometimes they just get a bit out of adjustment. Try smaking your gear selector towards park just before you start - sometimes a little jostle is all they need. You can find them quite commonly on ebay.