News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

So sad...I saw a 1953 Eldorado yesterday

Started by Charles, March 23, 2008, 12:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny F #662

Quote from: Stewart Homan on March 26, 2008, 10:57:25 AM
Quote from: Johnny F #662 on March 26, 2008, 10:02:42 AM
Quote from: Stewart Homan on March 26, 2008, 09:19:30 AM
Personally, I think it's great to see a 53 Eldo being used like this.

The car is obviously at an old car show so I'd doubt this car would end up in the crusher - the old guys that do this sort of thing tend to be loners that don't want people to know what they've got in my opinion.

If that is the case, then why did he choose to bring it to a car show?  I do not mean in any way to criticize the owner, nor take away his freedom to do with the car as he sees fit.  Although I think he posses an important of Cadillac history, he is under no obligation to anything other then what he chooses to do with the car.

That is my point in reply to someone suggesting it MAY end up in the crusher!

I can't see any reason why it should!

Why not?  Apparently the owner has no desire to pass this car on to someone that realizes what it is.  Many times this cars end up in the hands of relatives, who could care less. Hopefully they will come in contact with someone that will explain to them what a valuable find they have, rather then them just getting rid of Uncle Harold's "old car" to a salvage yard.

Joe Abernathy

Quote from: The Tassie Deville) on March 24, 2008, 06:50:57 PM
I am sure that the owner is happy to let people touch it, unlike a lot of total purists.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   I like driving my cars over all sorts of roads, and in any weather.

I like driving my cars too, but I don't care what condition it's in I don't want people touching my car, bike, truck etc.  And I'm not a purist either.

I may think your wife is pretty, but I'm sure you don't want my hands all over her!

BJ

Stewart Homan

Quote from: PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192 on March 26, 2008, 12:44:44 PM
Have you still got your 53 Eldo Stewart ?

I do still have my white one - that is the ex John McGraw from Pittsburgh/Jerry De Persio white car (originally blue), I also have 2 others which are fairly similar to the black car above which I'm dithering over what to do with - I'm trying to finish a blue 59 Biarritz that I've had for 5 years and never driven, for this summer!

Stewart Homan

Quote from: Dave Ventresca on March 26, 2008, 01:25:33 PM
Looks like it has 54 wiper arms. whoever restores it will need a set of the correct 53 Eldorado arms. Dave

Hi Dave,

I don't suppose you have any 53 Eldo arms kicking around? I could use a set!

Thanks,

Stewart

wrefakis

This is a true survivor,as a collector/historian I love this type of car,in fact this car is much more interesting to me than your Barrett special with 2-stage paint,thin leather,and parts from 5 other cars,also,it is quite obvious that this car in not being neglected,this is what the $295.00 cars in hemmings mid-60's looked like, I am actually looking for a 59 like this ,I will research the numbers on the car,will post follow up in a month or so,have recently found a few more missing 53's as I search out 59's,Bill

Stewart Homan

Quote from: wrefakis on March 27, 2008, 10:28:11 AM
This is a true survivor,as a collector/historian I love this type of car,in fact this car is much more interesting to me than your Barrett special with 2-stage paint,thin leather,and parts from 5 other cars,also,it is quite obvious that this car in not being neglected,this is what the $295.00 cars in hemmings mid-60's looked like, I am actually looking for a 59 like this ,I will research the numbers on the car,will post follow up in a month or so,have recently found a few more missing 53's as I search out 59's,Bill

Absolutely Bill, this black one is similar to the white 'finless' car in terms of being a survivor! BTW, I managed to contact the guy in CH with the 3PS car - he says it has every option, still on air but doesn't know if it's data plate correct - As soon as I have the info, I will pass it on!

Johnny F #662

Not being neglected?  You got to be kidding!  The trash hauling company in my neighborhood has more pride in the appearance of their trucks, then the owner does of this car.

wrefakis

Thanks,Stu,I know that you love them like this as well ,when I see this car,I remember back when they were kept as "station cars",I would go to the train station back in 68,and find all kinds of grand stuff from 50-60 looking like this one,bought my first old car that summer,a near mint 56 roadmaster convertible triple white 100% original one owner "station car" for 45.00 dollars. At 13,I could not drive it,sold for 225.00,and the rest was history!

Stewart Homan

Quote from: Johnny F #662 on March 27, 2008, 11:00:56 AM

Not being neglected?  You got to be kidding!  The trash hauling company in my neighborhood has more pride in the appearance of their trucks, then the owner does of this car.

I guess each to their own but I really don't see this car as being neglected - more like he's preserving it in the condition it was in when his late friend left it to him! My feeling is the cars licence plate is a clue to how the guy values (personally not monetary) the car. I'd be surprised if this car got cubed!

Stewart Homan

Quote from: wrefakis on March 27, 2008, 11:06:25 AM
Thanks,Stu,I know that you love them like this as well ,when I see this car,I remember back when they were kept as "station cars",I would go to the train station back in 68,and find all kinds of grand stuff from 50-60 looking like this one,bought my first old car that summer,a near mint 56 roadmaster convertible triple white 100% original one owner "station car" for 45.00 dollars. At 13,I could not drive it,sold for 225.00,and the rest was history!

Fantastic! We can just dream of those days now!

Johnny F #662

Quote from: Stewart Homan on March 27, 2008, 11:09:55 AM
Quote from: refakis on March 27, 2008, 10:28:11 AM

I guess each to their own but I really don't see this car as being neglected - more like he's preserving it in the condition it was in when his late friend left it to him! My feeling is the cars licence plate is a clue to how the guy values (personally not monetary) the car. I'd be surprised if this car got cubed!

What would the purpose of preserving (?) the cars slow deterioration?  It would seem to me that at the very least, he could have thrown on a Maaco paint job, seat covers and floor mats from Pep Boys, and if he wanted to really get wild splurge for universal radio, instead of displaying a drivable parts car.

Stewart Homan

Quote from: Johnny F #662 on March 27, 2008, 11:26:49 AM

What would the purpose of preserving (?) the cars slow deterioration?  It would seem to me that at the very least, he could have thrown on a Maaco paint job, seat covers and floor mats from Pep Boys, and if he wanted to really get wild splurge for universal radio, instead of displaying a drivable parts car.

Now that really would be neglecting the car! The car is probably exactly the way it was the day he got it - that way it's a fitting reminder of his friend who probably used it the same way! A one day paintjob would not make this a better car - just fool the uninitiated!

I guess you either get it or you don't! - no offence meant!

Johnny F #662

Quote from: Stewart Homan on March 27, 2008, 11:57:22 AM

Now that really would be neglecting the car! The car is probably exactly the way it was the day he got it - that way it's a fitting reminder of his friend who probably used it the same way! A one day paint job would not make this a better car - just fool the uninitiated!

Is this car a memorial to his friend?  I think that's what tombstones are for.  Granted putting a one day paint job, would be the same as putting earrings on a pig, but at least the car and the pig would be more attractive, not to mention that the paint could possibly help keep away rust.  Of course if the owner chooses to do nothing, and just go to shows and tell his story of how he got the car, and he gets pleasure out of doing this, then who am I to condemn him?

Stewart Homan

Quote from: Johnny F #662 on March 27, 2008, 12:17:50 PM

Now that really would be neglecting the car! The car is probably exactly the way it was the day he got it - that way it's a fitting reminder of his friend who probably used it the same way! A one day paint job would not make this a better car - just fool the uninitiated!

Is this car a memorial to his friend?  I think that's what tombstones are for.  Granted putting a one day paint job, would be the same as putting earrings on a pig, but at least the car and the pig would be more attractive, not to mention that the paint could possibly help keep away rust.  Of course if the owner chooses to do nothing, and just go to shows and tell his story of how he got the car, and he gets pleasure out of doing this, then who am I to condemn him?

Exactly! Thats what floats his boat in the same way Earl Sheib and good looking pigs float yours! :o)

wrefakis

Not only would a junky paint job do nothing but set the car way back,I'll bet that car has a very interesting history as well. the original owner may have been someone well known in the area as there was only one,yes,one 53 eldorado sold new in vermont. this car may have been passed on down thru the years,and the current owner may well feel that he is preserving a piece of local history.He may also not have 250k to do a proper restoration,and of course,that investment would not,in most cases produce a correct end product anyway,like the 59 biarritz restored by RM complete with olds buckets,and blue hood springs at a cost of 175k. Final thought,that guy probably enjoys that car a TON more than the guy in the helicopter who owns 100 bright shiney redone cars that he has a caretaker rag down once a month! Bill

wrefakis

hey,Stu,the original top on my 59 biarritz shows very slight wear around the rear window,sould I replace it?????

Stewart Homan

Quote from: wrefakis on March 27, 2008, 12:30:27 PM
hey,Stu,the original top on my 59 biarritz shows very slight wear around the rear window,sould I replace it?????

NEVER!...I know you're teasing Bill! ;)

Johnny F #662

Quote from: Stewart Homan on March 27, 2008, 12:24:27 PM

Exactly! That's what floats his boat in the same way Earl Scheib and good looking pigs float yours! :o)

Actually I have used the services of Earl Scheib in the past to preserve a '61 and '65 Fleetwood, and the results were quite satisfactory.  Instead of riding around in crappy looking old car, I rode around in very presentable classic Cadillac, that got constant thumbs up from appreciative people.

wrefakis

That's the answer,your cars looked good to others,this guy enjoys the car for himself,period.

Stewart Homan

Quote from: Johnny F #662 on March 27, 2008, 12:34:20 PM
Quote from: Stewart Homan on March 27, 2008, 12:24:27 PM

Exactly! That's what floats his boat in the same way Earl Scheib and good looking pigs float yours! :o)

Actually I have used the services of Earl Scheib in the past to preserve a '61 and '65 Fleetwood, and the results were quite satisfactory.  Instead of riding around in crappy looking old car, I rode around in very presentable classic Cadillac, that got constant thumbs up from appreciative people.

Me too but I doubt this car gets any less attention and I'll bet anyone that actually knowswhat the car is practically kremes their paints when they see it especially as they'd probably lock up and high tail it after the 53 thinking they were gonna get it off the old man for $600 and 3 part chewed toffees!