News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

New turn signal switch on cadillac deville 1967

Started by Cadillac1967inthenorth, February 22, 2023, 03:32:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadillac1967inthenorth

332324289_956028695387230_6951546550055905908_n.jpg
I have trouble installing the new turn signal switch. I manage to get the wires in place but when i try to install the upper end assembly I get confused. The shop manual says that I should slide the whole upper end assembly (with switch on top) on the jacked and then turn it clockwise to lock it. The problem is that the shell, ring and spring. Should the shell and ring install into the jacket before the assembly is placed on top on jacket? I didnt manage to install the lock plate before I install the shell and the ring when I was figuring out how to do.

I also tried to install the shell and ring and then the lockplate, the big spring,bearing housing, switch and 3 screws with springs but then the 3 screws didnt get in the lock plate.

Anyone here who have done this before? I found a video on youtube but he´s omitting the 3 springs on the 3 screws. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZYgX3Z2JI4).

Car has standard column, NOT tilt.

Larry Savino

Allthough I cant help you as I have never done it . I understand there is a special kent moore tool that was recently on Ebay for sale. , I will try and find the part number for you . the tool can be found in the service manual. I have to complete the same repair but I am going to de-pin the replacement switch and try and guid the wire down the column

Cadillac1967inthenorth

fishnjim

What's confusing?   
The end has to go up and down, so the horn blows when pushed.  The twist is to lock it in, so it can move.  The spring holds it up.  Did you look in the shop manual?

Cadillac1967inthenorth

Quote from: fishnjim on February 23, 2023, 09:33:13 AMWhat's confusing?   
The end has to go up and down, so the horn blows when pushed.  The twist is to lock it in, so it can move.  The spring holds it up.  Did you look in the shop manual?

Yes I did, but I had problems with the shell and ring

I got it all together. I didnt do it as stated in the manual.

First i put the lockplate on the jacket. Then the shell, then the ring and then the spring. Then I put the cover, bearing and assembly together with the switch on top. After that 2 of the 3 screws. Then i put the small springs on the screws on the back of the cover. Instead of the top screw i put a skrewdriver in the hole and a spring from the backside. Then I put it all on the jacket and the screwdriver helped me to line up the 2 screws so I can tighten them a bit. Then I removed the screvdriver from the hole and replaced in with the screw. Tighten it. Mounted washers and then the locking ring on top. Done!

When I tried this at first, I didnt manage to get any of the screws to go in the locking plate. When I replaced one of them with a screwdriver (or anything thats goes in the hole of the lock plate), it was easy to get the rest of the screws to engage the thread on the lock plate.

The steering wheel is not in place, but it seems like everything works.