News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1932 Cadillac V16 scale model

Started by Roger Zimmermann, July 12, 2019, 01:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Zimmermann

Illusion, illusion! This is all what modeling is trying to do.

Well, Bruce, it may look perfect in picture, but it's not. I still don't have a machine to reduce objects!
The steering knuckles are more difficult to do as I supposed. Maybe my brain is still able to evaluate the less complicated solution.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

There are sometimes parts I don't know how to begin them. The knuckles are a good example. I did first the shafts but I had to modify my plan: the first idea was to have "bearings" in steel as large as possible therefore the hub would be rotating over the fixed very large shaft. This solution is not at all practical as I could not take easily the drum from the model.
Consequently, I did 2 shafts in mild steel and "bearings" in brass pressed into the hubs. The shafts will then be silver soldered into the knuckles. I then took the largest bit of brass I had, trying to machine all the needed details out of it. Unfortunately, I discovered that the bit is not thick enough! Therefore the attaching channel for the steering knuckle arm will be a separate element silver soldered to the main part.
But how to begin? Drill the hole to attach the shaft or drill the holes for the knuckle pin? I opted for the second possibility with the hope that the hole for the shaft will be at the correct angle to have the front wheel with a very slight positive camber.
As it can be seen on the picture, there is still a lot to do!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

When I began the wheels, I thought that I would need months to complete them. In fact, the job went much quicker than that. This is quite the opposite with the knuckles, they are still in fabrication. During milling, I suspect that the milling bit was not tight enough and went down. The result: a scraped part which can be seen on the left on the second picture.
As you may see, there is still some work till completion!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

Thankfully you are human, like the rest of us.   And willing to show the bad, as well as the good.

Nothing worse, at the time, than a loose part/tool, but thankfully, nobody got hurt.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

Like everybody, I'm doing mistakes! It's never fun when a part must be discarded after some hours working on it, but that's life; you certainly know that too!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

Finally, the steering knuckles are ready. There was a lot of machining, silver soldering and filing. I just have a regret: the steering arms are attached with 2 bolts to the knuckles; to have a flat surface for the head's bolts, a counterbore is provided at the knuckle's mounting point. Unfortunately, I cannot do that; I just could provide a flat surface. I don't know how this was done in production because the upper part of the knuckle is in the way. Maybe from the other side with a special tool?
What I still have to do is the device to adjust the play; the original knuckles having an upper and a lower ball bearing. Of course, my device will be just here for the show.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Lexi

Very nice as always Roger. Your work always blows me away. I hope we get to meet one day. I would have a lot of questions on your model building. Merry Christmas to you, your family and all our CLC family. Clay/Lexi

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks Clay! Well it seems that only mountains do not meet! If I can answer some of your questions here, please free to ask. However, sometimes the answers are easier with some material or tools in the hands.

The knuckles are now ready with the addition of the adjusting device. Of course mine is not functional. You can see that the surfacer from the axle is already damaged. That's not a problem; in due time it will get a new coat. The goal was to cover the surfaces with are difficult to clean.  What's next? Well, Christmas is almost at the door!

Enjoy that period of the year!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

What could I do next? Rather logically, the brake shields should logically be next because they are attached to the knuckles. But now, I'm doing the rear ones! Too much red wine lately? No! the reason is that the rear shields are rather simple and the front ones are more complex. The outside diameter is the same, that's all.
The dies I did are modified dies used for the Mark II wheel covers. Once the real shields ready, those dies will be modified to do the front ones, sparing that way a lot of material.
The dies are on the first picture.
The second one is showing my method to press the brass with the dies.
I was glad to see that the first shield went out without problem; the surface had some waves which could be almost eliminated by rubbing the high spots with a hammer. Unfortunately, the second shield developed a crack as you can see on the next picture. Doing another one is not a guarantee of success, therefore, I repaired the crack by silver soldering a piece of brass inserted into the crack.
The next operation was to shape the outer flange; unfortunately this picture is no good but both shields were already finished as shown on the last picture (only one was pictured). The flange is shaped with a hammer on the die as making another tool just for that was a waste of resources. A small hammer can do wonders!
Later, these shields will be adjusted on the rear axle; the 6 attaching holes drilled, plus a number of parts for the brakes will be added. I just can say that mechanical brakes are very complex, compared to the hydraulic ones. The bonus: I may have the brakes functional on all 4 wheels.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

DeVille68

wow!
I can't respond with anything helpful, but keep on posting because I read your updates and progress with much interest.
Best regards,
Nicolas
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks Nicolas! Unless you have the same car as I'm attempting to replicate, you cannot help a lot!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

After the rear brake shields were ready, it was time to modify the dies to press the front shields. At first, I was thinking that the shape is easy; well it was the case to do the separate male insert. The female job was not that easy. The almost rectangular cavity could be milled, but the half round one was more difficult to get. Milling was not an option, at least not with my basic machine. I removed almost all the metal with grinding and finished it with a hand tool, shaving the brass until the insert was flush with the flat surface.
The male insert was then attached to the other die with a screw.
Then came the moment of truth: will the brass be torn as the cavity is rather deep? Nothing bad happened at mid way, but at the end it was torn at the end of the cavity. To repair it, I cut the damaged spot, pressed a bit brass, adjusted and silver soldered it. This repair took much more time than pressing the shield!
Now, I have to do the second one; most probably the same damage will occur; then I can show with a picture or two what I intended to explain.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

Happy New Year to all!
The end of 2019 was not kind with my front brake shields, I will relate it later. First I'm showing the various steps to shape the second brake shield. I prepared a piece of brass large enough; drilled some small holes to prevent too much damage, first picture. After 1/3 stroke, I checked how the metal is taking its new shape; no problem to report; this is the second picture. At 2/3 of the stroke, the metal is already torn at one end (third picture). Dies builder is a profession; probably there is a method to avoid the issue (choice of metal, various steps, etc.).
Once completely pressed, the damage is obvious, but smaller than with the first shield, fourth picture. A patch will be silver soldered anyway.
I began then to trim the center, to make the needed space for the knuckle. The first problem I encountered was with the shape of the recess at the top: I did the corner's cuts at 45° and I could not put the knuckle high enough! By looking at the pictures I have, I saw that the corners are at about 25 to 30°. I modified both dies to the new shape and I tried to rework the shields by pressing them again. No problem, the brass was soft enough to accept the new shape. Then, I could finish the aperture for the knuckle. I put a drum on the "assembly" (the shield being just pushed on the knuckle) to note that the drum is resting on the brake shield! What to do to get those 0.5mm interference away?
Well, the first step was to modify the ears on which the shields are attached by removing 0.25mm. More was not advisable because they were 0.7mm thick. Then, I modify the dies once more by carving the recess by an additional 0.2mm. Here again, I got no protest from the shields and no damage.
The third step I will do is to modify the inside of the drums to have just enough clearance.
I assembled a brake shield on a knuckle (fifth picture); I still have a slight interference; the drums modification will get rid of that.
While I was with the camera, I redid a picture showing how the flange are shaped with a small hammer; this is the last picture.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

During our short vacation in France, I took the raw material which will be the pattern to shape the frame and I began to work on it. It's 5mm thick, therefore, I cannot prepare it at home, I have no suitable vise. That piece of brass is 420 mm long or 16.6"
Back home, I'm continuing the brake shields by adding the various element to make the brakes operable.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Cadman-iac

Roger,  that Lincoln is beautiful! Wonderful craftsmanship. I wish I had the patience to do something like that.
Can't wait to see how the Cadillac comes out. Fab on!!!
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks Richard! Ah, the patience: either you have it or you don't. However, some is needed to restore cars scale 1:1!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Bill Young

I Love scale modeling and admire others skills. I work in wood modeling the Great North Atlantic Ocean Liners in large scale. The Normandie model scratch built by me is 7 feet long and set up for radio control. Build time 7 months.

Roger Zimmermann

Nice ship, Bill! I could not build it at home, my room is too small! I hope that you will not have to remove the pictures as the ship is not a Cadillac!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on January 13, 2020, 09:55:11 AM
Thanks Richard! Ah, the patience: either you have it or you don't. However, some is needed to restore cars scale 1:1!
Very true! I'd like to think I have enough to get mine done.  So far....
CLC# 32373

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Bill Young on January 13, 2020, 10:19:11 AM
I Love scale modeling and admire others skills. I work in wood modeling the Great North Atlantic Ocean Liners in large scale. The Normandie model scratch built by me is 7 feet long and set up for radio control. Build time 7 months.
Beautiful  job Bill. I admire people who can do that stuff.  Must be a joy to use.
Rick
CLC# 32373