News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Briggs Cunningham V-16 Roadster

Started by Chris Cummings, June 21, 2005, 08:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Cummings

Does anyone know the fate of the Cadillac V-16 roadster that once graced the Briggs Cunningham Automotive Museum in Costa Mesa, California?  I saw it there in 1967, and it made a big impression on a fifteen-year-old.  The only pictures of the car I have seen since then have been two photos on page 77 of Roy Schneiders marvelous book "Sixteen Cylinder Motorcars."  The car was unusual for a V-16 in that it had the "standard" wooden artillery wheels and a single rear-mounted spare, instead of the fender-mounts usually seen on these cars.  

Ive always wondered what became of that car, and whether it retained its unique attributes.  Im hoping someone among the CLC membership knows.  

Chris Cummings

Bill Ingler CLC 7799

Chris- In the early 80s Briggs Cunningham closed his museum and sold the collection to Miles Collier of Naples Florida. A beautiful new museum was built by Collier in Naples and featured  vintage race cars since Collier was into sports car racing as was Briggs Cunningham. I toured the museum in about 1986 when it was open to public but don`t rembember seeing the V-16, that is not to say it was not still part of the collection. I think the last I heard the collection was closed to the public which is too bad as it was a beautifully displayed collection of vintage racing and classic cars.

Chris Cummings

Thanks, Bill.  You always come through with helpful information.

Chris