News:

Please note that the Forums will be in Maintenance Mode, i.e. not accessible, this coming Wednesday, May 15th, This is to make backups and carry out the changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members. The start of the transition is planned for around 9 a.m. EDT, and is expected to last between four and eight hours.

Main Menu

1963 Eldorado

Started by Paul Flykt CLC # 18899, June 22, 2005, 03:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Flykt CLC # 18899

I am looking for some help on how much a 63 Eldorado should be worth. Most posts requesting value are vague in the description, I apologize if I have gone too far.

Last night I looked at an Eldo about an hour from my home. Originally a North Carolina car.

The ID plate reads as follows:
Style 63    6367  Body  FW   1853
Trim 19       Paint 12
Top 2     Acc E

Motor # 63E 111854

The car is complete, the only thing I found missing was the dust cover on the bell housing. It starts, runs and drives good. Right front corner sits about 1 1/2" to 2" lower than left. Body was very straight no rust, some panels had what appears to be original paint some have been repainted. The car is 3 shades of white. The interior was original, leather seats were very cracked, the front had numerous splits and tears. Dash pad had 3 splits from windshield to dash. All interior panels were complete but could be replaced, all were either loose or crooked. Cab and trunk floors were very good. The top has only been put up once in 5 years, top frame was rusty and fabric full of mildew, plastic rear window. Bumpers were good except the right front lower has rust thru in 2 spots, chrome fair. Pot metal in the interior is pitted. Interior wood grain panels would need to be redone. Engine and transmission were supposedly overhauled 2 years ago. I say supposedly because I have never seen a complete overhaul with out replacement of any hoses, radiator, heater, vacuum or power steering. In fact some of the hoses were taped with electrical tape. Glass was OK, no cracks, vent window motors gears appear stripped. All windows except vents operate, some from drivers door and some only at the single switch. No AC which I thought was surprising.

This is not the description I was given during 2 phone conversations, not the first time thats happened or the last I am sure. It was descibed as "one of the top 20 63 Eldorados left".

And now the good part, the seller told me over the phone he had been asking $16k would consider $15k and then in person said he was now firm at $17k. I feel its a $10k car max, whose right? What is a totally restored 63 Eldorado worth?

Thank you for any help
Paul

Michael Stamps 19507

From your discription I can think of a lot better ways of spending $10,000 max.  I would let him stew on it for a year and then call him back.  If its sold then o well someone else made a mistake.  If not then maybe you can get a more realistic price.

Stampie

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Paul,

From your description, I hardly think it is a No. 2, or even a No. 3 car.

As far as what it is worth, well, I would be embarrassed to even offer a price as with everything that you mentioned, even with the top being new 5 years ago, and the engine being rebuilt 2 years ago, all the other problems bring the price way way down.

The fact that the dust cover is missing from the transmission bellhousing is nothing compared to the "Down-on-one-side" attitude, and the Rust in the bumper, and the bad upholstery, etc. etc.....

If the bumper bar is rusted through, then there has got to be some other serious rustatiousness under the car.  

And the poor quality paint???

Definately not worth $17,000, or $16,000.   And, I would go as far as to say, $10,000 is still way over the top.

If you figure out the cost of Painting, Upholstery, Suspension work to correct the sag, de-rusting and chromeplating, and all the other repairs, on top of the purchase price, then you definately dont want to pay too much for it.

It all depends on how badly you want a 63 Eldo.   $5000 would be a fair starting price.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Paul Flykt CLC # 18899

Thanks for the replies.
I was wondering if I was way off on current values of convertibles. 2 weeks ago I went to an estate auction that had a 64 Cadillac convertible that sold for $18,500 and a 63 Buick Wildcat convertible at $11,500. Both 20 footers. Both had some miscellaneous mechanical issues. The Caddy had quite a few chips in the paint along with some bondo. Both sold to people that claimed to be collectors. Interiors were very good. I went to $12.5 on the Caddy and $9.5 on the Buick.
I should have added the 63 Eldo wasnt worth $10k to me but maybe someone else. The most redeeming quality about the car was the sheet metal. The fenders, doors, quarters and deck lid were very good. The hood had one small ripple. The floors were very good underneath and under the carpeting. If I was looking for a car to totally restore this would have been a very good one to start with
I went there looking for a good driver. I did not expect a top 20 car as his ad stated but his description over the phone sounded like a solid #3, I beleive its Manheim Gold that says most nice cars fall in their good catagory.
The guy selling the Eldo restores wood boats for a living, there must be a very good market for them.

David Harrison

I think Bruce made some very good points.

It would seem to me that if you have to do the interior, top frame (which means the top too), paint, some chrome, and an unknown amount of mechanical work, then $5k is a very fair offer.

The other thing to consider is that the car was not ordered with a/c.  It seems to me that on a 60s Cadillac, let alone an Eldorado convertible, this is a very desirable option.  It can be added with a great deal of work, but why not start with a loaded car if you are going to restore it anyway.

Having restored a 66 deVille convertible from a simlar condition, I can attest that the cost of restoration and the final value are not directly related and that getting upside down in one of these cars is very easy to do.

The final component is the ever changing story.  In general, I try to avoid situations like that because I have found that things often get worse the more you get into them.  For example, did he just not bother to put the top up, or are the cylinders, pump, and lines in need of replacement.    

If he finds someone to pay $17k for that car, send them my way, I have some cars to sell that person too.

Chris Arneson 22170

First of Id like to agree with the $5-10K estimate.  

Second Id like to have an estate sale in your area!!  I too have seen cars go for crazy prices at estate sales.  Last fall a 1955 Eldorado - engine locked, bondo in rear quarters, sat for 25 years - sold for $23,750; about twice what would have been reasonable on a good day.  

Somebody elses mistake...

Greg Short

One other thing that stikes me as strange:  The body number being 1853.  All of the information that I can find says that there were 1825 Eldos made in 1963, so shouldnt the body number be 1825 or less??  Is this right?

Cheers,

Greg.
64DVC and S75 sedan.

Paul Flykt CLC # 18899

It is entirely possible the body # was 1353, not 1853. The seller had painted the engine compartment black when he had the engine out. The ID plate had a very heavy coat of paint. Body # 1353 would make more sense with the engine #63E111854. I did not look for the engine # on the engine to see if it matched the tag on the door jam. At that point I had pretty well decided any offer I would make would be futile. He had convinced himself that $17k was wholesale. He claimed a local car museum/dealer had offered $12,000, sight unseen based on his description, he then surmised they would then ask $24. I told him to let me know what the museum offered after he took it there.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Paul,

What you are saying about the heavily painted ID plate re-enforces my estimation of the value of the vehicle.

I have come across a lot of people that look in a magazine and see prices of cars and convince themselves that their car is worth that much, or even more, as "Cousin Charlie said that it is a rare car" etc, and forget to find out if the vehicle actually was sold for the advertised price.

The Muesum, most likely offered him the price over the phone, upon his biased and blinded description, and I would hate to be a fly on the wall when they actually see the car in person.   But, seeing as they would be outside looking at the car, a fly probably couldnt hear due to the noise from the flapping of the wings as there wouldnt be a wall close enough to cling to, to hear what was being said.

I am afraid that the owner is going to be firstly, disappointed, then depressed, then dis-allusioned in "Cousin Charlie" and his advice.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

P.S.   Yes, I forgot to mention about the lack of use of the convertible top.   It will need a total rebuild as it will also have suffered from lack of use.