News:

Please note that the Forums will be in Maintenance Mode, i.e. not accessible, this coming Wednesday, May 15th, This is to make backups and carry out the changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members. The start of the transition is planned for around 9 a.m. EDT, and is expected to last between four and eight hours.

Main Menu

1956 dealer installed AC system

Started by jwwseville60, May 08, 2024, 08:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadman-iac

Cold and efficient, works great. If you want it warmer, that's what the temp lever is for.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

While most aftermarket set-ups lack the refinement of a factory system, they were certainly effective. In any case, it's certainly preferable to the alternative of no A/C at all- noisy blower motors and less-than-optimal air dispersion notwithstanding.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

jwwseville60

Bring back the swamp cooler I say.
1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

I think it was Summer of 1956 I saw a blue 1954 "4 door" with one of those at the dealers being serviced.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Cadman-iac

Quote from: jwwseville60 on Yesterday at 01:49:48 PMBring back the swamp cooler I say.

I got it covered, see!! I just haven't figured out how to keep the freon from running out on a hard stop or righthand turn. No, really, I used to put ice cubes in it when I left work with this in the truck window. It worked really good until the humidity went up during the monsoon season here. And if someone was sitting in the passenger seat and I made a sharp righthand turn or hit a speed bump at an angle they'd get a brief ice cold shower.
 It will only fit into a sedan-style door though. It goes into the upper glass channel and then the glass holds it in place and a brace goes from the outer edge to the belt line of the door for extra support. Gotta be careful that you don't slam the door either.

Rick

20240512_163429.jpg

20240512_163527.jpg

20240512_163603.jpg
CLC# 32373

Lexi

Nice old swamp cooler. Never had the opportunity to experience one though, so I found your comments interesting. Clay/Lexi

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Lexi on Today at 10:05:20 AMNice old swamp cooler. Never had the opportunity to experience one though, so I found your comments interesting. Clay/Lexi

Clay,
 These are effective to a degree, (and I'm not referring to Fahrenheit here), it does depend on how fast you drive, the relative humidity, and how quickly the water,(and ice if you use it), evaporates.
 I usually had to stop halfway home,(45 miles was halfway), to refill it. I got a lot of comments about it over the CB though. Had a few offers to buy it as well.
 Even though it's not nearly as good as A/C, I keep it because of it's uniqueness. It's not something that you see everyday.

I was just out looking at the 77 Sedan Deville and thought about putting it in the window for a picture. Then I thought about having to take a battery out of another car so I could do that. Not worth it in this heat. Maybe another day or time of year.

Rick
CLC# 32373

Lexi

Those factors make sense, especially the humidity factor as AC units also de-humidfy the air. That is a big chunk of how an AC unit works or so I am told. So high humidity would lessen it's effect and perhaps make it worse as it would be contributing to the RH factor as there is no condenser/evap system in the swamp cooler. Was tempted to buy a vintage unit a couple of times but I thought it would look odd on a Cadillac from an era where factory air was available, so I passed. Would like to experience one some day though. Clay/Lexi

Cadman-iac

That's why I was thinking about using the 77 for a picture, for the irony. How many 77 Cadillacs ever came without A/C?

I forgot to mention that the rope you see hanging out off the air outlet is to roll the cooler pad through the water/ice, it's looped around the pad, as it's a cylindrical shape.
 As you're driving, if you don't occasionally rotate the pad it'll dry out and then you'll just get hot air coming out.
I remember my dad having one of these stuck in his truck window when I was a little kid and we went on vacation with a big cab over camper in back. I found out about the in-transit shower from his cooler, lol! I was fascinated by it and I'd always wanted one for my 56 Chevy but was never able to find one.
Imagine my surprise when I stumbled across this one lying in a pile of trash someone had dumped in the desert. At first, I thought it was just an old mailbox because of its shape.
I had to take it apart to replace the cooling pad, but other than that it was in great shape.
Had it for 25 years now.

Rick
CLC# 32373

Air conditioning was standard on all Cadillacs beginning 1975.

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on Today at 01:16:57 PMAir conditioning was standard on all Cadillacs beginning 1975.

I wasn't sure what year it was standard, but figured it had to be at least late 60's or early 70's. Thanks for the information.

Rick
CLC# 32373

Quote from: Cadman-iac on Today at 02:17:41 PMI wasn't sure what year it was standard, but figured it had to be at least late 60's or early 70's. Thanks for the information.

Rick

Technically, air was moved to the standard equipment list (along with a number of other accessories) beginning with cars produced in January 1974 however it could still be deleted through the end of the 1974 model year.

Beginning with the 1975 model year, the factory would no longer accept orders for deleted air.

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on Today at 02:24:03 PMTechnically, air was moved to the standard equipment list (along with a number of other accessories) beginning with cars produced in January 1974 however it could still be deleted through the end of the 1974 model year.

Beginning with the 1975 model year, the factory would no longer accept orders for deleted air.

Well once air conditioning was perfected why have a car without it? Sitting in the lap of luxury who would want to be sweating their proverbial butt off?
 You might say that air conditioning was a really cool idea. Unlike the swamp cooler, that's just a soggy idea.

Rick
CLC# 32373

Cadman-iac

I think one day I will clean up the 77 a bit and put that swamp cooler in the window and take a picture just for laughs. Gotta wait for a cooler day though. Already working under a tarp for shade.

Rick
CLC# 32373

Quote from: Cadman-iac on Today at 02:29:25 PMWell once air conditioning was perfected why have a car without it? 

It was common for commercial chassis based professional cars to be ordered without air conditioning since they weren't typically owner driven. What they did in 1974 was more or less a "last chance" concession to the funeral industry/municipalities to take advantage of the savings.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Just a note on the evap cooling units. They were intended to be used in dry climates only, hence the brand "desert aire", and meant to be used with all windows down allowing free flow of the cooler but moisture saturated air. The would work great at highway speeds anytime the outside dew point was 50 degrees or less
Greg surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-