News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1978 Seville: Fuel Sending Unit Lock Ring Removal Tool

Started by Gary Christensen CLC # 21112, March 28, 2024, 05:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Christensen CLC # 21112

In order to replace my in-tank fuel pump, I have to drop the tank and remove the sending unit, which is installed through a hole on the top side of the tank.

There's a tool that is used to remove the lock ring that secures the sending unit to the fuel tank.  I did a search online and was surprised to find out that these tools are very common.

So now I don't know which one to pick!  Do they all work because it's such a standard thing?  If someone has one that works on the ring on a '76 - '79 tank, can you please tell me which one to buy?  Based on the service manual, it sounds like the Eldo and Seville had the same sending unit during this period.

Thanks!

Gary

smokuspollutus

I have always tapped the lock ring loose with a small driver and hammer.

TJ Hopland

I have known people with tools and it didn't seem to help much.  If it wasn't rusty you could work them out with a hammer and punch or screwdriver.  If they were rusty the tool just slipped off and mangled things and you still ended up destroying it.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Gary Christensen CLC # 21112

OK.  Thanks guys!  I saw a video of someone using a pin and a hammer to get it off.  I just assumed the tool would be easier.  My guess is that this is not the last time I will have to do this, ha.

bcroe

I always managed using a flat end punch and small
hammer, working my way around the ring a few times. 
Bruce Roe

79 Eldorado

I use a brass drift and a hammer. When you do it sometimes the lock ring will shift slightly side to side. If you take turns tapping around different areas of the circumference it will tend to center it a little more; tapping from a side where it's getting closer.

When I installed the new sending unit the original lock ring fit a lot nicer than the replacement. By memory the form was a little different and it made it very tight, maybe too tight, to install so I used the original.

If you look on Rock Auto for sending unit lock rings and then you look up the application you will very likely see MANY vehicles use the same number. Doing that you can probably find a tool which will work under a different car listing if your car isn't listed. I've never used one but if the interact with the tabs a little nicer and they keep the ring centered turning install I could see how one would be helpful.

Scott

bcroe

I never had the tool, never felt a desperate need
for it.  But I really wonder of its effectiveness
on a ring that has gotten pretty much stuck in one
position for a long time?  Tapping around the edges
can break loose one area at a time, instead of
trying all of it at once.  Bruce Roe