News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Russian Classic Car Rally

Started by Ross Morgan #22943, December 14, 2012, 11:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Morgan #22943

I've heard of several Cadillac purchases of late with the cars heading to Russia.  I found an interesting Rally in Moscow called the L.U.C. Chopard Classic Weekend Rally (L.U.C. Chopard is a Swiss-based luxury watch, jewellery, and accessories company founded in 1860 according to Wiki). It's in it's 10th years and it I quote "this year, despite rainy and windy weather, 70 old-timers followed the itinerary from Tretyakovsky Proezd to Barvikha Luxury Village.  The oldest participant of the event was Rolls Royce Phantom 1 Open Tourer manufactured in 1926".

The following link show some of the cars that entered including a 1959 Biarritz and a 1941 convertible. http://www.yamoskva.com/node/9957

The link below has a video link. I found both the website above and below to be totally safe.

http://www.pam65.ru/news.php?newsId=2739

I really enjoyed looking at the cars, streetscapes, people and noted the interest they they had in these classic cars!  To me, it's a sign that this interest is truly universal and is possibly growing in some parts of the world.

Regards, Ross.

C.R. Patton II

Fantastic Ross thank you for sharing!
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Ross,
VERY interesting! Too bad it rained on their parade. Also, it's hard to read the text.
I just read on the news that a freighter loaded with collectable cars in containers just got diverted from Oz to Russia. LOL. 
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Ross,

Thanks for posting that.

The audience is very appreciative of what they see, and there sure are a lot of imported vehicles in attendance.   I liked their humour with the Life Belt attached to the Spare Tyre.

When viewing the video, I found it best to set it going, then walk away and do something for half an hour, and then come back to watch it in its' entirety.   Took a really long time to download on my computer.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Ross Morgan #22943

Bob, from what i hear, I'd say the container was heading to Brazil!

Bruce, I had to do the same - wait a little to let the video download.

Did you scroll down to the last photo (first link)?  What a wonderful photo of a young boy, wearing a cap, standing behind a late 50's (?) Chrysler Imperial!  I've attached the photo here. What is more interesting is that the trunk lettering IMPERIAL has been changed to IMEPIR.. (IMEPIRLA or IMEPIRAL).  I thought that this might be the spelling of "Imperial" in Russian but using google translation, it's "императорский" :)

Regards, Ross.

Jeff Maltby 4194

Calif Dreaming for Imperials :<)

Click on pictures to enlarge.

Check the Cyrillic alphabet, as used in Russia, where as far I could see, the Russian had spelled  Imperial correctly in Cyrillic on the Russian Imperial . The Cyrillic alphabet has some letters similar to Greek. It is a long time since St.Cyril took Christianity from Greece to Holy Russia! Even today, both the Greek and Russian Churches follow a similar Orthodox liturgy and language. Some Cyrillic letters look similar to the Latin alphabet we use here, but have quite a different sound, and most are similar in sound to Greek alphabet letters like pyre and delta. A few, like alpha and gamma are similar to the Latin letters, A and G.

From my Aussieland Gold Wing pal interpretation of ~:<) 
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Ross Morgan #22943 on December 15, 2012, 06:01:26 PM
........ What is more interesting is that the trunk lettering IMPERIAL has been changed to IMEPIR.. (IMEPIRLA or IMEPIRAL).  I thought that this might be the spelling of "Imperial" in Russian but using google translation, it's "императорский" :).......Regards, Ross.
I would say that the car was stripped down and painted, but they couldn't spell Imperial when deciding on which way the letters went.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

okccadman

Jeff,  i have to ask.  Where is that incredible collection of Imperials?
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

Jeff Maltby 4194

Hi Jim. There in the central calif valley 3 miles from me. He had 200 at one time and now down to 150 or so ? I first met him in 87 and been best friends since though he just turned 80 with some health issues, but has advertised in hemming for years. I hope his sons have an auction when his time comes and not scrap them ?
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500