News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Seeking Advice on Hydraulic Shocks for a 19k mile 1955 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan

Started by Tonyv_73, May 03, 2024, 11:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonyv_73

Hello fellow Cadillac enthusiasts,

I am the proud owner of a 1955 Cadillac with 19,000 original miles. I recently discovered that the car has replacement shocks, likely from the 1960s or 1970s. As i recall, the front shocks are light blue, and the rear shocks are tan, indicating they could be Delco Superides shocks or Delco Pleasurizers.

I am interested in hearing about your experiences with hydraulic shocks on 1954-1956 Cadillacs. Specifically, has anyone used "shocks2springs.com" for rebuilding spiral shocks? I am curious if they maintain the original specifications of the car or if they offer a one-size-fits-all approach.

Additionally, if my shocks are Delco Pleasurizers or Superides, would it be advisable to keep them in the car? Or does anyone know of a company that rebuilds these specific shocks?

I appreciate any insights or recommendations you can provide. Thank you for your time.

Best regards,
Anthony
1963 Series 62 Convertible
1965 Eldorado
1966 Calais Sedan
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1970 Wildcat
1970 Coupe Deville
1973 Eldorado Convertible
1974 Coupe Deville
1976 Coupe Deville
1981 Eldorado Biarritz
1985 Eldorado Commemorative Edition
1991 Brougham
1993 Eldorado 4.9
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
2006 XLR
2006 DTS
2014 XTS

64\/54Cadillacking

Hi Anthony,

If the shocks are the old AC Delco Pleasurizer shocks, I'd say keep them in the car. I do believe they are gas shocks, but they are probably very low pressure compared to new ones made today from typical brands.

ShockstoSprings definitely sounds like a route I would take the day I tend to buy shocks for my 54 Cad. You could even ask them if they can rebuild those old AC Delcos if possible, if so, I'd personally go that route.

I don't know exactly when gas shocks started to make their way into Cadillacs. Far too many of us (myself included) will go out and buy new shocks for our classic Cads, and then complain why the car now rides so stiff/harsh and unlike how an old Cadillac is supposed to ride.

Hydraulic shocks were meant for our cars, you could get away with some low-pressure gas ones, but the shock is still going to still have some resistance to it, you most notice it while driving over minor cracks and small bumps in the road.

Hope that helps.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

Tonyv_73

Thank you for the advice.  I contacted Shock2springs and they clarified that valve ratings and specifications are closer to the "one size fits all" design with the main differences being the custom stamping for the part number and bushing/mounting style.  That being said IF i were to find original 1955 cadillac shocks they can rebuild them and they would have the proper valving for the original ride quality. 

They assured me that they have never had a customer complain about the ride quality from their shocks so although its not a perfect solution it's great for show quality cars that want to look like they were new from the factory. 

I intend to drive my car however so I am more interested in finding quality hydraulic or pleasurizer shocks that help improve the ride quality rather than being a show winner. 
1963 Series 62 Convertible
1965 Eldorado
1966 Calais Sedan
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1970 Wildcat
1970 Coupe Deville
1973 Eldorado Convertible
1974 Coupe Deville
1976 Coupe Deville
1981 Eldorado Biarritz
1985 Eldorado Commemorative Edition
1991 Brougham
1993 Eldorado 4.9
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
2006 XLR
2006 DTS
2014 XTS

64\/54Cadillacking

That's good to know that they will rebuild the original stuff.

Putting something like KYB shocks on our Caddies will destroy the ride quality, hypothetically speaking as they don't make shocks for 50's Cads.

It might take some time, but you might come across a pair of the original spiral 55 Caddy shocks on EBay, and send them out to ShockstoSprings.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

James Landi

I'm "all about" breaking the rules, and inflating tires to original recommended pressures in spite of all the warnings regarding under inflated tires.  Yes, you burn more gas and you may reduce the life of the tires, HOWEVER, the dramatic difference of tires inflated to 34 psi and tires inflated to 25 psi is striking. When I have my old Cadillacs serviced, and drive down the road, I know IMMEDIATELY if the service tech inflated the tires--- that's how different the ride is.  When taking the car on the highway, I do inflate to 28 psi.  I never suffered from tire delamination or other issues.   Regarding shocks, I feel your pain. I often wish that magnetic/adjustable ride shocks were not so expensive.  And you may already know that Cadillac had speed adjustable shocks 35 years ago  on Allantes... they had 3 speed settings, and under 30 mph, you floated down the road--- ALas, that shock went out of existence, and replacement, non-adjustables cause the Allante to ride harshly.   

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: James Landi on May 07, 2024, 07:30:14 AMAnd you may already know that Cadillac had speed adjustable shocks 35 years ago  on Allantes...
It's even older than that: in 1932 (probably other years too), Cadillac had adjustable shock absorbers...with a lever at the dash. How effective was that arrangement? I don't know...
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101