News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

60 power steering pump

Started by 60eldo, March 25, 2024, 07:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

My PS pump works fine but it has a whinning sound that bugs me and my hearing is not that great. Anyone no a quick cure to quiet it down
Jon. Kluczynski

Michael Petti

Low fluid level can cause a whine sound. Check the fluid and make sure the the fluid level is up. If it's up then you may have a worn pump needing replacement or preferably a rebuild.

TJ Hopland

You can try different fluids to see if one of them makes less noise sometimes it makes a difference.  Dex/Merc vs universal PS vs Type F sort of thing. Some systems its makes all the difference.

You could also try a cleaner sort of thing like Seafoam Transtune that is thin and has solvents in it.  Or you could go the other way Lucas Transmission fix which is thick stuff that doesn't even pour when its cool out.  I would assume both those brands are available and would not have to be 'imported'.   I keep both 'in stock' and especially the Lucas has extended the life of some noisy leakers I own.  I got one ring that has to be at least half Lucas now but its quiet and not leaking.

With the quality of replacement parts these days messing with fluids is for sure worth a try.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Paul

Jon, I had the same issue in my 1959 power steering unit. I bought a rebuild kit and replaced all the 'O' rings. The units is fine now, no noise. The process is very simple.  The only issue I ran into was removing the pulley. Do not use a puller it will damage the pulley. Use heat to remove it. Heating the collar with a torch will do the trick. To put it back in just bake the pulley for about 10 mins and it will slip on. Other than that it's not a hard DIY. Good luck if you go this route.
59 Caddy, Seminole Red with Dover White top