News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Recent posts

I'm trying to find the correct rear brake hose for my 1966 Eldorado.  Everything that local parts stores list are incorrect in that they do not have the tee fitting attached to the hose.  Does anyone know a correct part number and source for this hose?  Thanks.
Want To Buy - Parts / Fuel Pump
Last post by houseboats1 - Today at 04:51:53 AM
I'm chasing a mechanical fuel pump for my 57 Cadillac 365 engine just looking for a good core I can rebuild. Thanks in advance
Technical / Authenticity / Re: Water pump for a/c cars
Last post by Highwayman68 - Yesterday at 10:39:21 PM
The 68 AC pump is very different than the non-AC pump. Other than the duel belts it's the extra deep section where the belts run past the left side of the pump to allow clearance for the duel belts. No one manufactures these anymore so the only ones available on these sites are for non-AC cars. There are a couple of places that rebuild these well, Flying Dutchman is very good, he has done 3 of mine.
General Discussion / Re: Jay Lenos 57 Coupe
Last post by David Greenburg - Yesterday at 10:35:49 PM
I had a similar experience to Barry a couple of years ago, when participants at a show held at Sonoma Raceway (previously Sears Point).  Got to do 3 laps, although we were limited to 60 mph, and no passing. Here's a pic.
Technical / Authenticity / Re: Chrome door lock knobs don...
Last post by MickeyCaddy - Yesterday at 10:28:30 PM
Clay/Lexi,
I'm sorry for the late reply. I hadn't logged in to this Forum for a while; when I did, I found I was unable to reply due to the "Not a Member" glitch affecting many of us. The glitch was finally resolved today (whew!)
When I read your posts I was amazed – you completely solved my problem, one that had me and many others vexed for months. You are exactly correct; the chrome lock knobs have a much smaller receptacle/hole way up near the top of the lock button that fits my lock rods perfectly! I had saved one chrome knob, that I'd perceived as non-fitting, just in case someone came up with a solution – and you did! Brilliant! I can't thank you enough!!!

MickeyCaddy
CLC member #29849
General Discussion / Re: 1960 rough engine Timing q...
Last post by David Greenburg - Yesterday at 10:24:03 PM
On these older cars, I like to time them using a vacuum guage.  Old school mechanic taught me this many years ago when I was traveling between the Rockies and the east coast with some regularity. Turn the distributor until you get max vacuum, and the back it off 3/4"-1" (depending on how good your gas is. This adjusts for altitude, engine wear etc. and may also help to confirm/deny a vacuum leak.
General Discussion / Re: I’m a new member
Last post by Barry M Wheeler #2189 - Yesterday at 10:16:48 PM
Welcome, David. I joined way back in ought '64. I've been a Region President, National Board Member, and National President. In all that time, I have made countless friends around the world, and can count on a very few fingers, anyone who I might not count as a "friend."
99.999999 % of our members are helpful, friendly, and willing to go beyond that at times. Many times, all you have to do is ask. Again, welcome and best of luck with your car.
Technical / Authenticity / Re: Water pump for a/c cars
Last post by David Greenburg - Yesterday at 10:12:24 PM
I'm not familiar with the '68 pumps, but I will tell you that on '59-'62 pumps, there are "new" ones that supposedly fit both a/c and non-a/c cars. The difference is in the length of the shaft, to accommodate the additional pulley and different radiator position for a/c cars.  But the replacements try to "split the difference" and wind up not quite fitting either correctly, resulting in vibration and pulley/belt alignment issues. If at all possible I'd try to get your original rebuilt. There are a number of good rebuilders out there, including Arthur Gould and Flying Dutchman. They do great work, and are surprisingly fast.
Haven't had to do anything to my '61 in this area, but on my '60 I went the OCD route, and taped the exposed chrome off, trimming it with an exacto knife. I then sprayed the exposed chrome with an "adhesion promoter" before taking it to my painter. That was 8 years ago and it still looks great.
General Discussion / Re: I’m a new member
Last post by David Greenburg - Yesterday at 09:58:09 PM
Welcome! Lots of knowledge here. The other thing you'll get is the Self-Starter magazine.