News:

Please note that the Forums will be in Maintenance Mode, i.e. not accessible, this coming Wednesday, May 15th, This is to make backups and carry out the changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members. The start of the transition is planned for around 9 a.m. EDT, and is expected to last between four and eight hours.

Main Menu

New main and rod bearings for my 54 331 engine

Started by PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192, September 27, 2011, 12:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

I need to buy new bearings for my 331ci engine on my 54 CDV. I have just requested a price from Egge machine, as they don't list their prices on their website. I have found these bearings listed at various prices by different vendors. I'm guessing that there are not a lot of people manufacturing these nowadays? For instance there is a company called Falcon listing a crankshaft set on Ebay at a reasonable price. Are there different quality bearings for sale out there or are all the dealers selling the same bearings [ie manufactured by the same company] at different prices? I want the best for the job, I don't want to tear this engine down again. 
Thanks,
Phil

Dave Shepherd

Careful here with quality issues as you say, Napa and Rock auto use high quality parts in general, try them, both have online listings.

Philippe M. Ruel

I just received a bearing kit for my 1952's 331 engine from Falcon's eBay store ($188 including shipping to Europe).

The invoice is issued by a company named "The internal engine parts group, Inc." located in Mississippi with warehouses throughout the U.S. : http://www.internalengineparts.com/.

Main bearings are of "King" brand, http://www.kingbearings.com/, their box mentions "made in Israel".
Rod bearings [big end bearings] are of "Rebuilders choice" brand, the box mentions "made in Taiwan". Rebuilders choice appears to be a subbrand of Packard Motor Car Co., located 76 Monroe St. in Boonton, NJ, which is the address of Kanter Auto Products as well.

Hard to find one's way in this business maze (pronounce the "z" as you wish).
1952 60 Special in France.

Roger Zimmermann

I used to buy my engine bearings at Terrill Machine. I had no problem with them; unfortunately, I don't remember the manufacturer's name.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Hi Guys,
I have got mine from Egge machine - they haven't arrived in the UK yet. I will tell you the brand when they arrive. I went to Egge on advice of John Bezik, they cost a lot more than the ones that Falcon sell on ebay, I just hope that they are not the same and are made in the USA ! Knowing my luck they'll be the same and will have just cost a lot more !
Phil

Philippe M. Ruel

Here is a picture of the Taiwanese rod bearings vs. an old stock, U.S.-made Federal Mogul bearing.

Just look at the mirror finish of the old one :o I got to ask my crankshaft what he thinks about all that.
1952 60 Special in France.

Dave Shepherd

Phil, don't go by appearance, some bearings  have a softer top layer for better imbedability others use more tin and are somewhat harder, not a sign of quality, racing bearings are dull just like those, more research would be necessary to determine the quality and make up of the bearings in question.

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Thanks Philippe,
I will check mine for appearance when they arrive. I tried to get NOS ones over here, I found +010, but I needed +020. I am rebuilding my engine after just 500 miles - the bearings have disintegrated and there is a nasty abrasive sludge in the bottom of the oil pan. I believe that the rebuilders didn't clean the crank thoroughly after grinding it. So, now I am doing it myself and I am using a very good machine shop. I don't want to do this again in a hurry, so I am trying to buy parts from known good quality suppliers. I have used Terrill many times, for many parts and have always been satisfied with them. John Bezik very kindly rang round in the US for me to source US made bearings.
Phil