News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Can i please get some advice on a 53 Cadillac series 62 horn relay??

Started by mooman929, April 07, 2017, 10:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby B

Ross,
Isolate your relay first.....#3 & #5 are the coil as stated on the front cover of your relay. #1 is your output to the horns. This is about as simple of a circuit as you can get. Disconnect all the wires to the relay and energize #3 & #5 with 12V. You should hear a clicking as the coil is energized. You're beating yourself up over a 3-wire circuit. Do that test first to see if your relay is good. If that works, take a multimeter to terminal #1 & #5 and see if you have 12V there while the coil is energized. If you do, the relay is fine and something else is wrong in your system. I don't understand all of this posting to figure out a simple relay... ???
                                                                                                                                                                    Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Bobby B

Quote from: mooman929 on April 09, 2017, 10:22:04 AM
This is the only way mine will work.... if I'm reading this right the bottom post is 5, middle is 3 and top is 1??? Is that correct?

Not necessarily. Look underneath at the bakelite where the terminals exit. There should be numbers embossed in the bakelite. Don't guess at it.
                                                                                                                                                           Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

mooman929

Quote from: Bobby B on April 09, 2017, 10:31:23 AM
Not necessarily. Look underneath at the bakelite where the terminals exit. There should be numbers embossed in the bakelite. Don't guess at it.
                                                                                                                                                           Bobby

Ok so dummy here just figured it out.  It's not the relay.  I actually had it wired correctly the way you said with the number stamped in the plastic which I didn't realize were there..... stupid me.  Sorry about that.  And another issue I had was the spring on the brass post wasn't putting enough pressure to make contact with the brass ring so I shimmed it with some electrical tape so it pushed the contact down further and it seems to be working like it it should.  Thanks for all your help and sorry for the trouble.  Just didn't notice the stamped numbers under the terminals they are really tiny!