News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

best interior panel paint

Started by 1776-1976-Eldo, August 09, 2021, 11:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1776-1976-Eldo

What is the best paint, and color to use for a 76 eldo interior metal panels? It is the bicentennial edition, so believe the paint is dark burgundy. I need to touch up the A pillar covers.
1976 Bicentennial Eldorado #198 Dallas, TX

cadlove

If it is a Bicentennial Eldorado (have you checked the Body by Fisher plate) the interior is Firethorn.

When you say A pillar covers, do you mean the kick panels in the footwell corners, covered in carpet?

The colour codes for all interior surfaces are listed at the front of the Cadillac/GM parts book. JP

1776-1976-Eldo

I guess I am looking for what is the best brand paint to use to repaint the metal covers on the inside of the A pillars, as well as the top cap along the windshield of a convertible.
1976 Bicentennial Eldorado #198 Dallas, TX

76eldo

Take one of the parts to an auto paint supplier and they can scan your part and custom mix the paint and put it in an aerosol can for you.

That will give you a good match.  the rest depends on your skill level for prepping and painting.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

V63

SEM offerers an already packaged 'fire thorn' red in an aerosol, you might find that within tolerances. It is a semi gloss and will work fine on rigid or flexible parts. It is a lacquer product. A good automotive paint supply should inventory.

MaR

SEM coatings are the go-to for interior dyes and paints. If you cannot find what you need in premixed cans, most automotive paint stores can custom SEM paints and dyes to your spec. That's what I did for my '74 Eldorado with the Cranberry interior.

76eldo

Why settle for a close match when you can get paint custom mixed in a spray can for about $30.00.
It will be exact, not close.

I've done it and it works out great.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

V63

$30? 🤦🏻‍♂️, Maybe it's been a while since a custom blend? 

The  Factory packed spray cans in inventory are $20 each now.

cadlove

This might help. I can't find this information in the newer (dated '82) parts book which covers 1976. However, the parts book dated April 1976 has up to 1975 in it, Firethorn was only an interior colour in '76. The paint textures, gloss, satin and matt were the same.

The parts you are talking about are referred to as garnish and roof rail moldings. These were painted at 25% gloss. When last in the States I was able to buy Ditzler (PPG) products? These were available using the trim number and so exact matches. Ditzler provided the colour and several lacquers covering the gloss, satin and matt finishes.

2nd option - I couldn't get Ditzler shipped to Britain when I did my roof rail trims so I took one to my paint store and manually matched it using their colour cards. Then I bought a made-up aerosol of base coat. I bought some superb satin clear lacquer spray from a model/hobby shop to spray over the base coat. They are undetectable from new. JP

cadlove

Sorry, I forgot. If you can get the Ditzler products get them, they were what was used at the factory. JP

cadlove

Sorry for a second time - if the car is a Bicentennial Eldorado the trim code will be SO72.