News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1948 power window switches

Started by Richardonly, October 07, 2011, 08:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richardonly

Any recomendations regarding rebuilding or replacing the power window switches on a 1948 Fleetwood?
Who seems to have the best price for the kit or the whole switch?
The Bezel # for the switch is 4557793.

Thank you, Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Richard,

Give Hydro-Electric a call. they may be able to help you. I don't know of any rebuild kits out there. What I do is check e-Bay for used switches and use those parts to rebuild mine. They are fairly easy to repair. There's not a lot to wear out in them, except the springs get weak. But it's almost always the driver side one that gets most of the use and ends up with the weak springs. Another part that can wear and break is the shafts that the switch (s) pivot on. These must be NON CONDUCTIVE. If these are broken they may be tough to find. I have heard of some people have used weed whacker string as a substitute. I tried it once but found it wasn't ridged enough. It did work, but the switches felt mushy when operated. I included a photo of a master switch all disassembled to show all the parts. Notice the two little pivot shafts (the master switch uses two). They look like copper. They are not. I don't know what they are made of, but they are non metalic and easily broken.
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for that. I didn't know there were repair kits available. It's funny that they don't include the springs though.
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine