News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Repair cost comparison on web

Started by Bob Steur, October 21, 2011, 09:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Steur

Here is kind of a neat link: http://www.rockauto.com/repairindex/

With this you can compare the typical cost of repairs for two cars, based on parts that are typically replaced. I compared my 68 Cadillac to my 2000 Cadillac DTS and confirmed what I suspected. Mechanical and maintenance parts for the 00 cost 5 times as much as they do for old 68. Now of course finding a pair of rust free fenders is a different story...

62droptop

i totally agree Bob, i am a mechanic by trade and hear people whinning about the price of a part, ball joiont for example for $100
price one for a newer car that is with a control arm,some of them are nearly $300

i find just about all the parts for my old cars is way cheaper than anything newer
ever price spark plugs for some newer cars?
can buy 2 sets for the caddy for the price of one plug

Dan LeBlanc

I know exactly what you mean.  $110 for spark plugs for my F-150.  Then one broke off in the head - yup, the dreaded Triton.  I was able to get it out, so I got the other ones done.  The remaining six I didn't do all broke off.  $450 labour to change them.

Spark plugs for my Cadillac, less than $30.  They'll never break off and take less than an hour to change. 

Who says newer is better?
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

62droptop

Dan, that is the engine i was refering to

to all folks with newer alloy head cars
never ,NEVER ever leave your plugs in for as long as they claim they can go

much cheaper to change them twice than to spend hundreds getting them extracted once they sieze in the head

even if you do not replace the plugs,at least loosen them off and retorque them to make sure they dont sieze

when i was working at the garage as a mechanic,i had to remove many cylinder heads to have spark plug holes welded and rethreaded

the new ford seem to be setting the record for plugs siezing in the head,even at low mileage

Dan, you got off lucky at only $450