News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Brake Lines from Master Cylinder

Started by Jeff Wilk, February 26, 2012, 12:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Wilk

I've finally started putting all of the various firewall parts back in place after stripping, painting, etc from what started as a simple replacing of the power booster and master cylinder job due to a brake failure.  During the process I upgraded to a dual cylinder master with the rebuilt original power booster instead of the single one that was standard on the 59 Cadillac.  General question......

........has anybody used flexible, braided, brake line from the master cylinder?  I am SOOOOO tight on space that I am think using braided stainless lines would work best, and you would hardly even see them with all of the other parts surrounding them. 

Is this possible?  If so, what kind to get?

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

DTBass

Jeff, I'm sure this is possible but keep in mind the braided lines will be larger in overall diameter.  I'm sure if you have to come out of the master and make a 90 degree turn you could do it in less space using standard brake line rather then the braided lines.  The flexibility gained may not be worth the space lost using these lines not to mention cost.  I did all the brake lines on my '57 with a 15 dollar tube bender, a pipe cuter, and a flaring tool, oh yeah, fittings and a roll of 1/4" brake line from AutoZone too.  Just my thoughts.
1917 Maxwell
1948 Oldsmobile
1954 Chrysler New Yorker
1957 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe
1966 Mustang

The Tassie Devil(le)

To answer your question rte Braided Brake Lines........ they are used all the time in performance related applications, and they are small in overall outside diameter, and will take higher pressures than the rubber hoses where flexibility is required.

Plus, there are lots of fittings that can be used to direct the hoses out of the M/C to where you want it to go.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon