News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Stainless Steel Hubcap Restoration

Started by csearider, July 20, 2012, 01:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csearider

Looking for advice for restoring stainless steel cadillac hubcaps. These caps are in very good shape but have small to very small slight dings in a couple of them. How would one smooth out any imperfections in the caps and then what is best way to bring back to original luster?

ccp49

Get ready for a laborious job if you are going to do it yourself, and an expensive job if you send it out. 
First step is the hammer out the dents. I was shown a method that works well - if you have a drill press, chock up a flat center punch and use it to precisely locate the punch on the opposite side of the dent and "push" it back so the metal is flush to slightly beyond flush, so that you can sand it down to smooth on the side that you see when the cap is on the car. 
Now for the time consuming part - working up from a large grit (180 - 220 grit) to a polish 1500 grit, until you are a cut size (each size of the grit produces a correspondingly sized "cut" in the metal) that can be polsihed out with one of an assortment of polishing attachments mounted in your favorite die grinder. 
It is probably worthwhile to Google the topic to find some more detail. 
The trick I am told is being able to use various tools and methods to handle the various contours.  On the convex shapes of the hubcap, it is a lot easier than the concave, since you cannot use a sanding block.
Advice: 1) get some stainless steel scrap parts and practice before trying it out on your hubcaps.     
2) work outside if you can because it's dirty work when you start using a polishing wheel.
I've only just begun to learn how to do this work, and it is work!  It's more of an artform, and you really have to be into the gratification of doing something yourself or you will put the job down and never finish it. 

There's a guy in my town who does SS restoration as a quasi-retirement hobby, who has been giving me some lessons.  There are also a lot of shops who will do the work for you, but get ready to climb off your wallet!

Good luck! 
Dan Barbieri
'49 Conv "in the works"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

csearider

Thanks so much for the advice......are you or the other mentioned interested in doing this work for fee?

csearider

Please excuse my last response on the fee issue....the advice you gave on my original post was more than adequate and very knowledgeable. I consider my previous response .........less than deserving........your tehnical expertise is more valuable than anything that most could imagine.........thank you.

ccp49

I'll check with John to see if he is taking new SS jobs.  The other thing he is doing, which he prefers over SS resto work is rebuilding car radios. 
Dan Barbieri
'49 Conv "in the works"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

csearider

I have a couple of old radios. I am interested in knowing what most folks intent is on rebuilding an old one as opposed to just getting an aftermarket. I am sure it is like everything else..aftermarket means made in china and is junk. If John is member of the club I will start a separate post so all can follow...thanks

kkarrer

There's a guy who does great stainless work here in Texas just north east of Austin in Cameron.  You'll have a bit of a wait and he's not cheap, but you'll get your stuff back and it will look brand new.   See www.trimpolish.com
Let me know if you need contact info.  He is listed in Hemmings.  Most of what you need to know you'll find on the net.  He's a great guy who does outstanding work.
Ken Karrer 1941 6227D coupe

Coupe

Your hubcaps were flash chromed on the face when new. That will have to be removed to get down to the stainless. If it was me I'd look for better hubcaps.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2