News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1979 Eldorado

Started by CRZNYT, June 01, 2020, 12:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CRZNYT

Well finally making some headway on her.
New gas tank, axles because of boots, all ball joints and other odds and ends.
Put new tires on her and was out for a small boot and the heater core popped,  figured I would bypass it for now as I never drive the old cars in winter months, always something lol.
1960 Plymouth Fury convertible
1965 Thunderbird convertible
1966 Dodge Charger
1979 Cadillac Eldorado
Don Shearer

James Landi

Once you get all these challenges sorted out, you'll have a lovely and very reliable car.  Tell us some history on it, and we all enjoy pictures.  Thanks, James

CRZNYT

Little history on the Caddy:

I'm the 3rd owner the original owner had her up to 90 the second owner up till 2019 and then here I am LOL.
It spent every winter in Florida for the first 11 years of her life and when up in Ontario the rest of the time it was in underground storage, by the first owner.
Second owner had her in the garage.
I would say in my opinion the car is mint in the undercarriage part of it.
The 2nd owner parked her about 12 years ago and there she sat unitl last fall when I found it in a local kijiji ad in my city.
Went over did a little haggling back and forth and brought her home.
Just finished having a new gas tank, axels, all ball joints, 2 front tires, plugs and wires done and now out for safety.
It is that light blue with matching blue velour interior and 1/4 top.
Tried several times to put up some pics and cant seem to make it work, I have several to put up but no luck yet.
That's about it for now.

1966 Dodge Charger
1979 Cadillac Eldorado
Don Shearer

James Landi

Protected, loved, and rarely used--- collectively great combinations for a long and enjoyable relationship-- terrific history.  I had an '83 Biarritz "roadster" with the terrible 4100 HT motor, and that old gal provided me with over  24 years of service and 315,000 miles before I gave her away (with the original engine!).  I really loved these model years-- so being thus stricken (afflicted), I owned three-- two convertibles and the aforementioned roadster.  I would always take a "second look" anytime I parked these cars-- I found the design truly attractive, and apparently, you've got yourself a winner. Yes, the ball joints do wear... be careful NOT to use the emergency brake, as the rear calipers tend to lock up, and do change the fluids,especially the antifreeze
that can become acidic and flush out the crud in your radiator, as you need that to be 100% effective.  Happy day, James

CRZNYT

Yeah I like this style also 79 to 85.
I had a 81 or 82 cant remember but it had the 8,6,4 engine in it, heard horror stories about that engine but mine ran fine.
That one was the Barritz with automatic sun roof and a beautiful burnt copper colour.
Second one I had was the 85 Busselback and now this 79 Eldorado, something about this body.
1966 Dodge Charger
1979 Cadillac Eldorado
Don Shearer

James Landi

You're on target Don... it's a standout design.  I decided to hold on to my '83 during the early 90's  when I noticed that all the newer cars did not have traditional chrome/metal bumpers and they tended to look like four wheeled jelly beans.   These 79-85 Eldo/Sevilles are fortunately "mid-sized," but still look fantastic at any angle.   Enjoy your new car.   James.

CRZNYT

Hey James PM sent.
Cheers
1966 Dodge Charger
1979 Cadillac Eldorado
Don Shearer