News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Batwing air cleaner

Started by Tom Coscarelli, January 25, 2014, 04:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Coscarelli

Looking for a batwing air cleaner for my 1957 Cadillac 365 motor.
Please email me.
Thank you
Tom Coscarelli

35-709

Since there is much confusion in some camps about what is a batwing air cleaner and what is not, I would ask you which air cleaner are you looking for.  The first picture below is a "batwing" air cleaner. The second picture  is a GM air cleaner for your car if it has a single carburetor, OFTEN incorrectly referred to as a batwing air cleaner.

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

C.R. Patton II

Hello Geoffrey

I appreciate you for sharing the explanation and depictions. Thank you very much.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Just so as not to confuse our friend Tom looking for a "batwing" -- the first one pictured,
which is for dual quads, should be GOLD in color, not black.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

35-709

Right!  I just picked those pics off the internet to illustrate the differences between the two.  Thank you for that clarification.

Tom Coscarelli

Quote from: Tom Coscarelli on January 25, 2014, 04:40:06 PM
Looking for a batwing air cleaner for my 1957 Cadillac 365 motor.
Please email me.
Thank you
Tom Coscarellli 

Thanks for the reply, just starting the restoration on my 57 Eldorado Biarritz. I bought the car complete without an air cleaner. I am in need of the batwing air cleaner for the two four barrels. 

Michel Ouellette

Tom Coscarelli

Hi Michel
Thank you so much for the web site you informed me of. 
Truly appreciate the information.

Tom

Paul Tesone

Hi Geoffrey - If the photo you posted is for a 1X4 carb air cleaner on a 57 Eldo , what do you think mine is for ? It came with a 57 Eldo I have yet to start restoring and certainly looks original to the car . Could it be that the Eldo air cleaner for 1X4 carbs is different from other 1957 1X4 carb models ?Thanks , Paul Tesone CLC #6876

Paul Tesone

I may have just answered my own question . Based on photos of other air cleaners for sale on eBay , it appears that my gold one is , in fact , for a 57 caddy . The air cleaner in Geoffrey's second picture apparently belongs in a 1955 or 1956 caddy . Could someone please confirm or correct me so that I will not be passing along inaccurate information . ... Thanks , Paul Tesone CLC # 6876 .

35-709

All I was trying to do is to illustrate the differences between a real batwing air cleaner and a regular, single 4 barrel GM air cleaner (used on Cadillacs and other GM lines) that is often and incorrectly referred to as a batwing air cleaner.  Yes, I know the correct batwing I illustrated is painted the wrong color, point is, it is a batwing air cleaner.  I did NOT say the air cleaner in the second picture is for an Eldo! 

I won't speculate just what YOUR air cleaner is for.

Paul Tesone

Thanks Geoffrey - understood . Paul Tesone CLC #6876

Roger Zimmermann

The second air cleaner from the first picture was used some years till 1956.
the gold air cleaner from Paul is a '57 one for an Eldo model, for a single carb. The dual carb was an option on Eldorados for 1957.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Tom Coscarelli

I believe if you have a "Q" on the block number that designates the eldo 365 with two carter carborators.
Tom Coscarelli