News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Bringing back my Grandfather's 59

Started by pinkfinbucket, December 13, 2014, 12:27:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkfinbucket

Getting started restoring this old girl.

pinkfinbucket

pinkfinbucket

pinkfinbucket

pinkfinbucket

57eldoking

Looks like a great project, family cars are always something special   8) Good luck, look forward to seeing your progress!
1957 Eldorado Biarritz #906
1957 Eldorado Biarritz #1020 http://bit.ly/1kTvFlM
1957 Eldorado Seville  #1777 http://bit.ly/1T3Uo1c
1995 Fleetwood Brougham  http://bit.ly/20YwJV4
2010 SRX Performance

1946 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup
1957 Buick Caballero Estate Wagon (x2)
1960 Chevy Apache 10 Stepside
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (x2)
1992 Pontiac Trans Sport GT

James Landi

Dear M. Smith,

I, for one, would appreciate some narrative background.  Your pictures have engaged me in speculation...and a narrative is all but necessary at this point.  Grandpa had the car for how long?  When was it parked?  Why are the headlights missing?  What is the condition of the car?  Interior... when did you ride in it first and last times-- your memories of its "glory days," and what of your decision to take on the project? So much of our personal lives, our memories, and our deeply held values often center on our experiences in these exceptional American beauties.   Please share your stories with us.   Gratefully, James Landi

pinkfinbucket

Grandpa bought the car as a wreck 40 years ago for 45 dollars. Over the years he bought all the parts for it but never did anything with it. It turns over and It was running but that was over twenty years ago. The car is rust free originally from Texas.  The interior is complete in fairly good shape with some water damage. Its pink with a white top and a pink interior. Short term plans are to rebuild the engine, freshen up the fuel system and bakes put all  new chrome up front some head lights. powder coat the wheels mount a brand new set of bias ply wide whites with some bullet center caps. And roll into good guys on the 4th of July with grandpa right beside me. Long term its getting stripped down to bare steel re painted with some pearlescent new upholstery and carpet some big chrome spoke wheels bag it. Ls9 swap maybe.

57eldoking

It was such a great story until the last two sentences  :-\
1957 Eldorado Biarritz #906
1957 Eldorado Biarritz #1020 http://bit.ly/1kTvFlM
1957 Eldorado Seville  #1777 http://bit.ly/1T3Uo1c
1995 Fleetwood Brougham  http://bit.ly/20YwJV4
2010 SRX Performance

1946 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup
1957 Buick Caballero Estate Wagon (x2)
1960 Chevy Apache 10 Stepside
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (x2)
1992 Pontiac Trans Sport GT

pinkfinbucket

To each his own. They are just ideas mind you. what part of the last two sentences didn't you like

Quentin Hall

I think most diehard 59 fans probably winced at every word in those last two sentences James. A 59 is a 59. Keep it that way . If you want 24s , doof doof and tacky bling, buy a mini truck. Not Coming down hard but you will never ever regret keeping your 59 as it was. I've had a few.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

pinkfinbucket

i didn't know these came in twenty fours i guess hub caps just aren't my thing. Besides i only have three. As far as the modern suspension and drive train id like for it to be as fast as it looks and handle like its on rails. You can have your concourse driving tea sipping crumpet munching slow mo body rolling gray hair blowing old car.  >:D

Bobby B

Might be the wrong car to invest some hard earned cash in if you think it will ever handle like it is on rails. The first time some young punk smokes you at a light with a 2,000 lb. twin turbo rice burner, you might be a little embarrassed. As for me, my going fast days are over.  I don't know where you live, but the man is around every corner here just waiting to slap you with some heavy fines, points, license suspensions, etc . Don't need the aggravation any more. Racing is for the Track and Reality TV shows……….
                                                                   Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

pinkfinbucket

Yeah your right I've probably been watching to much Gas Monkey.

Bobby B

M.
   Everything about your '59 screams Style and Class in the Typical Cadillac Fashion. Classic Body lines…... Why not rebuild the motor and add some go-fast internals that allow it to appear stock when you pop the hood? Nothing wrong with that.  ;)   Let's see…Overbore, Roller Cam/Valve train, Some Head Porting, Balancing, etc. should wake that baby right up.  Do we still call them sleepers?
                                                                                                       Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Quentin Hall

Can you guys keep it down?? All the old 59 guys are having their Nana naps around this time. Then they have lawn bowls and bingo.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Bobby B

1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

wrench

I just have to laugh at these guys who want to hot rod a Cadillac. Then they talk all sorts of performance jazz. Engineers, I guess. Yeah man, I want a supersonic balloon, too.

I love old cars because they remind me of the days before iPhones, constant emails and text messages. The constant barrage of inanity. The world move too fast today already and i like to toss my phone on the workbench and go for a leisurely ride in the countryside on a sunny day and listen to the rich tones coming from the exhaust and the tube radio and forget about all that fast lane BS. This is especially fun because the damn clock doesn't work...

1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Smedly

M.
I believe in " to each his own" and as much as I enjoy looking at a slammed and bagged 59 with big wheels. I think once you drive it to that show with Grandpa at your side you will probably never change it. Just watch the looks you get from the others at the show, look closely at the attention the car gets all day long at the show and compare that to the attention the car at the show closest to your future idea gets.
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

Dan LeBlanc

Assuming Grandpa is still alive and by riding beside you in the front seat, you don't mean figuratively, what does grandpa think of your plans for his car?  What were his plans for it?

I couldn't think of a better tribute to your grandfather than to live out his dream for him.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car