News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1955 Caddy Cam o matic wipers

Started by caddyRay, May 17, 2017, 11:15:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caddyRay

hi All I just bought a 1955 Cadillac Sedan,first Caddy ever & having a lot of fun with it. my drivers side cam o magic wiper jumped off its track . Cable came off the drum,passenger side works fine. I know nothing about these but assume the wiper must come off and press in the stud to release the cable tension in order to re-thread the cable on the drum...does that make sense? please correct me if I'm wrong on that procedure. looking at the wiper itself ,I see there are 2 shoes that seem to clamp around the cam or half moon shaped piece. do those shoes have to be removed first in order to release the wiper arm? if so how do you remove those shoes (or pads) without damaging them or the arm
if anyone out there can help your info is appreciated

rharms

Bob Kielar

Hello,
           If you grab hold of the wiper arm and push it toward the center of the windshield the shoes then clear the cam. While doing this you can pull the wiper arm off I use a wiper arm removing tool because one hand is busy extending the arm so the shoes clear the cam. I also but a towel on the windshield and lower chrome piece so when the arm comes free you won't scratch anything. :o

Keep Cruzin,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Walter Youshock

Or try this:  remove the wiper blades then pull the arm toward the center of the car.  The cam will lift far enough to clear the cam disk.  Then turn the wiper arm 180 degrees.  The shoe end should pop right off the transmission.

The cable job is a 2- person task.  You need one outside to push on the transmission and hold it unlocked while the other works the cables inside the car. 
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham