News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Route to GN from Niagara Falls via Harrisburg

Started by Bill Bickle 15098, May 18, 2017, 09:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Bickle 15098

I am travelling from Niagara Falls Canada via the Harrisburg route with my 40 LaSalle.  Once I get to the 270 route and the capital beltway, it is unknown territory to me.
Should I be taking an alternate route in this area for safety's sake  since I am driving my '40 and I hear that this area is fairly congested?  We are leaving here on Saturday and have allowed some time to get there on Sunday or Monday. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
1927 (7400) and 1940 (5267) LaSalles; 1949 Cadillac 6107

quadfins

Much will depend on the time of day that you are arriving. Other than during typical extended rush hours, traffic is steady, but not too horrendous from that direction.

The I-270 route to the I-495 beltway would work OK. 495 is busy, but typical of most urban traffic corridors. I will be coming from the south, onto the 495, to make the same exit as you, just from the opposite direction. I will also be driving the car, and have no fears about it.

A better alternative would be to come down the Shenandoah Valley on I-81, connect to I-66 south of Winchester, and come to the beltway that route. You would be going against the afternoon rush hour traffic flow, so there should be less congestion.

Admittedly, this is not my neighborhood, so someone more local can judge better than me, but I am 3 hours south, and drive into the DC area frequently enough to know a little bit about the traffic.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

harry s

Bill, Using I 270 from Frederick, MD during non rush  hour is tolerable assuming nothing unusual. Between 10 am and 2:30 pm would be best and you would also be going against the traffic. Another more old car friendly, more scenic alternative would be US 15 south from Harrisburg to Leesburg, VA, then  VA 7 east right to Tyson's Corner. If it is later in the afternoon you would also be going against the traffic using that route. Sounds like a fun trip in the LaSalle.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Bill Bickle 15098

At this moment it looks like route 15 to Leesburg would be my preference.  Thanks to both of you for responding to my query.
1927 (7400) and 1940 (5267) LaSalles; 1949 Cadillac 6107

D.Smith

I'm in Hartford, CT and even though I-95 would be more direct I am going west to Scranton and heading down to the event as well.    The I-95 corridor can be brutal with traffic, construction and bad drivers.   It will take longer but it should be a less stressful route. 

Jim Govoni CLC 20546

I would be very careful using the roads in and around DC with a car of your vintage. Here are some pointers that might help:
Driving route options for the Hilton-Tyson’s Corner in Mclean, VA
This route has no tolls. Be very careful you stay off the EXPRESS lanes.

From the East:
1.   Maryland Suburbs and Metro Baltimore
2.   I-495 to VA-123 S/Chain Bridge Rd in Tyson’s. Take exit 46A from I-495 S
3.    Take Galleria Dr and Westpark Dr to Jones Branch Dr the complete address is:  7920 Jones Branch Dr, McLean, VA 22102

From the South:

1.   Follow I-495 N to VA-123 S/Chain Bridge Rd/Dolly Madison Blvd in Tyson’s. Take exit 46A from I-495 N
2.   Take exit 46A for VA-123 S/Chain Br Rd toward Tyson’s Corner
3.   Continue on VA-123 S/Chain Bridge Rd. Take Westpark Dr to Jones Branch Dr
4.   The complete address is: 7920 Jones Branch Dr, McLean, VA 22102

From the West: (Dulles Airport and surrounding areas)

1.   Take VA-267 E to VA-7 W in Providence. Take the VA-7 exit from VA-267 E
2.   Continue on VA-7 W. Take VA-694 to Jones Branch Dr in Tyson’s Corner
3.   The complete address is: 7920 Jones Branch Dr, McLean, VA 22102

Please take your time and allow for traffic at all times. This is a very heavily travelled route. Pay attention to the overhead signs. Stay away for the EXPRESS lanes unless you have and EZ-PASS device that is active and working!  The toll roads are privately managed; the bill you get if not equipped with the EZ-PASS may be hundreds of dollars and are often uncontestable. If you are familiar with the routes and EXPRESS lanes and are an EZ-PASS subscriber it is a little easier to exit into the area of the hotel. Be forewarned though, there is no bargain if you get a bill from the company that runs it.
1953 Series 62 
1966 Fleetwood 
1969 deVille Convert.
1941 Series 63

Scot Minesinger

All,

I have an 8 minute video on this very topic and driving on the DC beltway, which will get posted first of next week.  After it is posted will provide the link and it will be accessible from the website and you tube.  It shot while driving my 1970 red DVC top down, and the audio and camera work came out really well for an amuture.  Ronnie has approved it.

I cannot emphasize enough:

1.  Get a easy pass, the hotel is best accessed via express lanes which are way less crowded than free roads.
2.  Time of day is everything.  You need to plan your trip carefully.  Your plans should prioritize the timing.

For example upstate NY, you need to arrive in DC before 3pm if during the week.  That means you need to crossing the GWB (if you go that way) around 10:30am so you miss the morning rush hour just barely, and avoid the afternoon rush hours traveling thru the major cities to get to the GN hotel before 3pm.  Even if you take RT 15 or other routes, plan to be at the hotel before 3pm.  Alternatively you could drive at night and arrive really early before rush hour starts in the am.  Recommend the day driving.  I drove up to Boston GN 2013 and the Lake George GN from DC and the trip was extensively planned around avoiding rush hours in each city I travel thru.  Don't skimp on this aspect of the planning.  It will make the difference to the start of wonderful trip.

Enjoy!

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty