News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac Commercial Chassis sending unit needed

Started by cadfan1959, October 25, 2017, 06:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadfan1959

I would like to buy a brand new commercial sending unit for my 1959 hearse.  I'm not sure where to find one.  Any suggestions?

Rob D.
cadfan1959

The Tassie Devil(le)

I take it that you are referring to the Fuel Tank Sender Unit?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Thor

Hey Robert:

I bought both a new tank and sender from Caddy Daddy:

https://www.caddydaddy.com/shop-parts/fuel-carburetion-emissions/fuel-tanks-sending-units/1959-1960-1961-1962-1963-1964-cadillac-gas-tank-sending-unit-reproduction-free-shipping-in-the-usa.html

Have not installed it yet, but the tank seems beefy..... I've heard that the dimensions may vary a little bit and the straps may need longer J-bolts.  Will need to weld on a hose fitting for a future fuel return line just like A/C uses, which will help avoid vapor lock issues in parades and stuff.

Randy Bergum

cadfan1959

Thank you for the information!

I just looked at your link. It doesn't say commercial chassis. I was told a while back that the commercial tank has a different sending unit than a passenger car.  Did they tell you they were the same?

Thor

Yup...... I tried to get the A/C version with a vapor return, but they said No-Go - the correct one is the stock passenger car unit.   BTW, the resistance varies from 0-30 ohms, so I measured it and it was within spec.

Currently my gas gauge is way off and not repeatable.  Gauge behaves with proper resistors so it sounds like a variable short in the wiring from back to front.  A new harness will cure what ails her.

Randy B

dochawk

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on October 25, 2017, 06:30:52 PM
I take it that you are referring to the Fuel Tank Sender Unit?

Or the vehicle itself--a hearse is a "sending unit", isn't it?

:)
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

Thor