News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

CAX wheel weights

Started by cadmium, March 10, 2018, 08:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadmium

What years did Cadillac use these special CAX wheel weights?  This style is required because of the way the wheel covers mount to the wheels.  I know my '68 takes them and at least a few surrounding years.  But I'm curious when Cadillac started and stopped using them.
1968 Coupe deVille
1968 DeVille Convertible

TJ Hopland

Good question.   Eldo used them through 78.     Other cars maybe didn't need them after 77? Or was it earlier?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Glen

The first chart is from the 1974 parts manual.  Does not list cars beyond 74.       
The type C weights are listed for 1958 on. 
The second chart is rom the 1956 parts manual.  The type B weights look like the type C in the first chart. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

The Tassie Devil(le)

It shows the CAX weights (Type B) being required from 1958 onwards for the outer side of the wheels.

These weights are for use with the full disc trim that uses the multi retaining clips, and with the extra wide outer flange.

The type C weights have a much shorter extension.

When did Cadillac go for the horrible multiple retaining clips, like in the '60 and '72?   My '55 Chev Bel Air had caps that were easy to fit, when compared to the '60 or '72, and not as noisy when rolling along.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

Is the theory behind why they did this so they could cover the entire wheel and weights?   Cadillac (and Lincoln) owners didn't have to worry about or look at that likely nicked up and rusted edge like the Ford and Chev owners did?

When did the wire covers become an option?  76?  77?   That would be my guess as to when they changed the wheel , perhaps to a more standard GM design? 

75 1/2-76 Seville used what was likely a standard GM wheel  with the 4.75 bolts?  And had its own hubcap?  Then in 77 went to the same as say a Deville?    That would be another reason to think the change was 77.

I know Eldo didn't get a wire cap option till the downsize in 79.  77-78 Eldo barely got cosmetic changes over a 76.  They may have been expecting the new downsize model to come out sooner so they just didn't bother.     
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason