News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

73' Eldorado Shifter Cable Bushings PLEASE HELP!!!!

Started by BootsAndCats, April 08, 2019, 01:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BootsAndCats

Hi All! I'm trying to help my grandfather. He is 86 years old, and the original owner of a '73 Cadillac Eldorado convertible. He loves the car, and drives it every day the weather is nice. He has put almost 200,000 miles on it. Now, we have a problem, that I need your help solving.

His mechanics, and myself, cannot locate a replacement shifter cable bushing. Can someone here please help me locate this part? I would be soooo grateful!!!! Thanks!

hornetball

BootsAndCats

Quote from: hornetball on April 08, 2019, 02:03:07 PM
It looks like aftermarket solutions are out there.  Here's one (no personal experience):

https://www.bushingfix.com/cadillac-eldorado-shift-cable-bushing-repair-kit/

They only go back to 1992. I called and she said they might have something compatible. She said to send a picture of the bushing to her. Still looking for other suggestions in case this route doesn't work out.

harvey b

I would try one of the big GM parts guys,that piece is propably the same in a chevelle or camaro?,im sure someone will have it,you will have to do some detective work,or maybe go to a u-pick yard and see if something there wont work.can you get a picture of what you need?,there are lots of people on here with those cars.Good Luck  Harveyb
Harvey Bowness

BootsAndCats

Quote from: harvey b on April 08, 2019, 03:18:21 PM
I would try one of the big GM parts guys,that piece is propably the same in a chevelle or camaro?,im sure someone will have it,you will have to do some detective work,or maybe go to a u-pick yard and see if something there wont work.can you get a picture of what you need?,there are lots of people on here with those cars.Good Luck  Harveyb

Who are the "big GM parts guys"? I tried dealerships, and they said their info and systems only go back to the late 70's. They couldn't help me.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

The shift linkages on the Eldorado's of this vintage
unfortunately used plastic bushings that deteriorated
from age.

When that happens the linkage gets "sloppy" and
sometimes will prevent easily shifting from one gear
to another -- or -- makes you have to "hunt" for the
correct detent.  It usually starts with being unable to
shift into "park".

I'm having thos same issue with my '73 Eldorado and
cannot find replacement bushings anywhere.  My
mechanic told me he would have to make them for me.

If you do find any replacements readily available I'm sure
everyone would like to know.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

harvey b

The big dealers i meant are the aftermarket restoration sellers, one is National Parts depot another was Original Parts Group,you should call and see if you can talk to someone there,they all have websites.Hopefully this part is used on other GMs of the same era?.You may be better off looking for a complete cable as to looking for a part to repair it?. Harvey
Harvey Bowness

BootsAndCats

Quote from: harvey b on April 08, 2019, 04:38:42 PM
The big dealers i meant are the aftermarket restoration sellers, one is National Parts depot another was Original Parts Group,you should call and see if you can talk to someone there,they all have websites.Hopefully this part is used on other GMs of the same era?.You may be better off looking for a complete cable as to looking for a part to repair it?. Harvey

Called National Parts Depot and Original Parts Group, neither have the part. I don't know if this bushing was used in another vehicle. Anybody have any other leads I can try?

hornetball

This is the drawing of the 1974 Eldorado transmission linkage from the service manual.  1973 should be the same.  There is no shifter cable.  As for the plastic "grommets," they are no longer available but functional equivalents are easily fabricated.  Some members here have fabricated from universal door hinge bushing kits.  A visit to a decent hardware store with a good selection of bronze or nylon bushing stock would also yield options to tighten things up.  Looks like a fun afternoon project -- but not something for an ordinary automotive repair shop to tackle.  If you're not a DIY, you might need to find more of a restoration shop who can deal with not finding the part at NAPA.

BootsAndCats

Quote from: hornetball on April 08, 2019, 05:02:47 PM
This is the drawing of the 1974 Eldorado transmission linkage from the service manual.  1973 should be the same.  There is no shifter cable.  As for the plastic "grommets," they are no longer available but functional equivalents are easily fabricated.  Some members here have fabricated from universal door hinge bushing kits.  A visit to a decent hardware store with a good selection of bronze or nylon bushing stock would also yield options to tighten things up.  Looks like a fun afternoon project -- but not something for an ordinary automotive repair shop to tackle.  If you're not a DIY, you might need to find more of a restoration shop who can deal with not finding the part at NAPA.

Interesting. It's possible something got lost in translation from the mechanic to my grandfather, to me. My grandfather wrote down "shifter cable bushing" but very possible it was linkage that the mechanic was referring to. Either way, I need the bushing. I am going to take it to a local shop on Friday to get it up in the air and get a picture of the bushing. Still looking for more advice as I am not sure I would be capable of making my own bushing and I doubt the mechanic would go for that.

Kurt Weess

I just replaced the inner grommet on my 78 Eldorado.  The outer grommet was still in good shape as the inner one takes the majority of the load during shifting.  Doorman sells an 8 pc door hinge bushing set, #38374.  The largest bushing in that set is what worked for me.

Kurt Weess

BootsAndCats

Quote from: KWeess on April 08, 2019, 05:45:29 PM
I just replaced the inner grommet on my 78 Eldorado.  The outer grommet was still in good shape as the inner one takes the majority of the load during shifting.  Doorman sells an 8 pc door hinge bushing set, #38374.  The largest bushing in that set is what worked for me.

Kurt Weess

Thanks Kurt! Did it require any modification to make it fit?

Kurt Weess

The bushing ID was opened up maybe .010".  The hole in the bracket may be egg shaped depending on how long the grommet was missing.  You'll have to see how the bushing fits.  If it's not too bad it should push in with a slight amount of force.  Upon disassembly when you pull the shaft out of the bracket the outer grommet is designed to retain the shaft so it may take a bit of pulling to get the shaft out.  When you put it back together reuse this grommet so the shaft can snap back into it.  This all assumes that the 73 version is the same as the 78.

Good luck,
Kurt

Flyer

Boots- You might try Oldsmobilenos website. They have a lot of nos parts to fit many GM cars. Good luck. Hugh

TJ Hopland

In the diagram Horneball posted above the problem bushing / grommet is the one on the diagram between 'relay lever' and 'rod'.   Its the left of the 2 grommets in the 'bracket'.  The right one is plastic and has a ridge in it that locks into the groove in the shaft.   

There were 2 styles of that bracket and bushings and they seem to be mixed over the years.  Not sure if there was an early and a late design and many of the early ones maybe got replaced under warranty or what the deal was.  Both styles can have the wear issue and if there ever was individual repair parts they are long out of production for both styles.  I think both styles had a plastic bushing on one side that is also what sort of lock the shaft in from side to side movement.  This never seems to have issues.   The other side is where the wear happens.   One style I don't think had any bushing and the other maybe had a plastic one but it was super thin to start with so it didn't last long. 

My recollection was that one of the door bushings fits the shaft fine but you did have to open up the hole a bit in the bracket which needed to be done anyway since it was egg shaped from the wear.   I have a lathe and mill but remember specifically trying to do this with more typical tools to make sure it was reasonable to recommend to others and it was.   I'm pretty sure I used a Dremel type of tool to enlarge and round out the hole to fit the new bushing.  It took some time but wasn't that difficult.  You just marked out where you wanted to remove material and slowly worked at it test fitting along the way till you got it.    The whole crank assembly comes off the car fairly easily so you can get it in a more comfortable position to work on it. 

My theory on why this is just an Eldo issue is something about the FWD geometry puts a lot of extra stress on that bushing (or lack of) if you park on even a slight incline.   Even with the wear you can adjust it so P works reliably (which is usually why you notice) but often then the indicator doesn't align which also means park neutral and reverse lights don't align either.  You also can't get to low gear but that usually is the least of the issues. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

BootsAndCats

Quote from: Flyer on April 09, 2019, 12:41:51 AM
Boots- You might try Oldsmobilenos website. They have a lot of nos parts to fit many GM cars. Good luck. Hugh

Thanks, I'm looking into this now. I will report back on it. I am kinda trying to go down all the possible avenues at the same time to try to save time and get the best possible/closest to factory fix.

Quote from: TJ Hopland on April 09, 2019, 09:03:34 AM
In the diagram Horneball posted above the problem bushing / grommet is the one on the diagram between 'relay lever' and 'rod'.   Its the left of the 2 grommets in the 'bracket'.  The right one is plastic and has a ridge in it that locks into the groove in the shaft.   

There were 2 styles of that bracket and bushings and they seem to be mixed over the years.  Not sure if there was an early and a late design and many of the early ones maybe got replaced under warranty or what the deal was.  Both styles can have the wear issue and if there ever was individual repair parts they are long out of production for both styles.  I think both styles had a plastic bushing on one side that is also what sort of lock the shaft in from side to side movement.  This never seems to have issues.   The other side is where the wear happens.   One style I don't think had any bushing and the other maybe had a plastic one but it was super thin to start with so it didn't last long. 

My recollection was that one of the door bushings fits the shaft fine but you did have to open up the hole a bit in the bracket which needed to be done anyway since it was egg shaped from the wear.   I have a lathe and mill but remember specifically trying to do this with more typical tools to make sure it was reasonable to recommend to others and it was.   I'm pretty sure I used a Dremel type of tool to enlarge and round out the hole to fit the new bushing.  It took some time but wasn't that difficult.  You just marked out where you wanted to remove material and slowly worked at it test fitting along the way till you got it.    The whole crank assembly comes off the car fairly easily so you can get it in a more comfortable position to work on it. 

My theory on why this is just an Eldo issue is something about the FWD geometry puts a lot of extra stress on that bushing (or lack of) if you park on even a slight incline.   Even with the wear you can adjust it so P works reliably (which is usually why you notice) but often then the indicator doesn't align which also means park neutral and reverse lights don't align either.  You also can't get to low gear but that usually is the least of the issues.

Thanks for the detailed reply! I appreciate the advice!

hornetball

ATP has several shift bushing types.  If you click on them, the details have some dimensions.  Wouldn't be surprised if some of these might work with minimal fabrication.

http://atpautomotive.com/auto-transmission?limit=all&subcategory=666

I noticed last night that my inner grommet on the "bracket" is worn out.

BootsAndCats

FOUND SOME! https://www.honestjohn.com/parts/?show_part=175

The guy I spoke with on the phone said it is a generic image on the website. Call him, and tell him the year. You get the whole kit for $60 shipped.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Thanks for that info.  I know the owner (John Faust) and
he's a good guy.  I'll call him and order a set.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

BootsAndCats

Quote from: Mike Josephic  CLC #3877 on April 09, 2019, 04:17:10 PM
Thanks for that info.  I know the owner (John Faust) and
he's a good guy.  I'll call him and order a set.

Mike

No problem, glad to help! It took a lot of searching to find, but it seems to have paid off. I appreciate everyone's help here, I cross posted on another forum in search of help, and I got wayyyy more help here!