News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cadillac ........The Standard Of the World ?

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, March 11, 2020, 11:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on March 13, 2020, 09:14:54 PM
Probably a nice new post to start.

Aren't clubs and forums like this supposed to be more about "promoting" positive interest in the brand, Cadillac in this case, and not encouraging discussions that have people pissing on certain years/decades of products and thereby potentially offending owners or enthusiasts of those years?  It's one thing to comment about reliability issues, repair costs, etc. of certain years/models someone may be considering but these kinds of "What years to Cadillac suck?" topics seem a bit counterintuitive to the broader purpose of the club/forum especially as views can be so subjective.

You have even acknowledged that your personal feelings often don't match public opinion with statements about yourself like "I guess when the public zigs, I zag" and "I'm unconventional for sure and I embrace it."

1960s Cadillacs sucked...70s Cadillacs sucked...80s Cadillacs sucked...90s Cadillacs sucked...what is to be gained by these types of divisive comments or discussions?

jdemerson

Quote from: Bill Balkie 24172 on March 11, 2020, 11:25:25 AM
Hello ,
     In the 1950's and 60's and even before that   Cadillac was known as   Standard of the World . Are they still the standared ? If not when did they lose that Title ?

Bill

In the post-LaSalle era, a Cadillac was a Cadillac for the most part. In a given generation they had the same chassis, engines, transmissions. This made it easier to discuss (and claim!) the Standard of the World title. It began to change with the 1967 Eldorado, but few would disagree that 67-70 Eldorados warranted the Standard title. In 1976, the Seville was a very different car, and it lacked a Cadillac V8, but most of us still think it was an excellent car.

In the 1980s, Cadillac offered fundamentally different models -- Fleetwoods and Broughams, Cimarrons, FWD models with 4.1s, Olds Diesel engines, eventually much smaller Eldorados and Sevilles. All that made it much harder to say whether Cadillac was a "Standard of the World"  -- which Cadillac are we talking about?

Of course the same is true of other prestige makes in those years and especially today.  Arguably a certain S-Class today might be viewed as Standard of the World, but that hardly makes the M brand standard of the world overall.  There are far too many models that differ from each other in too many important ways. Same for other luxury makes -- A, B, L, L etc. etc.

I think it doesn't make any sense to speak of THE Standard of the World among 2020 model cars. It did make sense in the 40s, 50s, and 60s.  Times change.

FWIW, I believe (personally and subjectively) that a 2019 and 2020 Cadillac CT6 Platinum is a "Standard of the World" - level car.  But that is a model and not a brand.  And many here would surely disagree anyway. Few, at least in the U.S. disagreed about Standard of the World in 1950, 1956, 1959, and 1965. Times have changed a lot!

Cheers,
John
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

dochawk

Quote from: D.Smith on March 12, 2020, 08:41:33 AM
When did they stop using the slogan? 

shh.  I'm not supposed to tell.

It was actually attached to cylinder #7.   So when they started shipping cars with missing cylinders, well . . .

::)
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

dochawk

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on March 13, 2020, 09:20:04 PM
Are we back on this subject Again?

Of course . . . It's the standard of the board!

:P
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)