News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Carpet Dye for faded carpet

Started by Michael Petti, August 11, 2021, 06:55:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Petti

I'm repairing the carpets in my 60 CDV. I have seamed in some patches where the original black carpet was rotted due to water leaks, but the rest of it is in good condition except that it's faded and of course the new black patches stand out .  I need a recommendation for a product the will return the carpets to their black color, or at least make all the carpet the same black color. Thanks

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Mike
Baillargeon

Michael Petti

Thankyou for the info. Which do you use, the gloss or the satin? I'm thinking the the satin.

dn010

I use liquid carpet dye from "Detail King" for all my carpet dying projects. The product has lasted going on 5-6 years now without fading due to sun or exposure to water and I am very happy with that. However, I always remove the carpet, wash all the dirt and crap out of it first, let it dry and then dye it, so it is more involved than just spot repairs and the color comes out uniform throughout. If you go this route, buy their "scrub brush" - you'll be glad you did.

https://store.detailking.com/Black-Carpet-Dye_p_1766.html#
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Quote from: Michael Petti on August 11, 2021, 11:20:43 AM
Thankyou for the info. Which do you use, the gloss or the satin? I'm thinking the the satin.

Yea Mike, I would use the satin....I don't remember a 1960 carpet being overly glossy...

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

MaR

Quote from: Michael Petti on August 11, 2021, 11:20:43 AM
It really won't make much of a difference on the carpet. You can start with satin and if you think it's too dull looking you can use some of the different sheen clear coat. When you use the SEM dye on carpet, you will need to make sure it VERY clean and completely dry. You will also need a stiff (plastic) brush to work the dye into the carpet and then to buff the carpet as it dries so it does not clump together. I would go over the area with the stiff brush before you dye it also just to be sure you have any dirt and debris out of the carpet.

Michael Petti

I am researching both of these options. Of what I have seen on the internet these two seem to be the best.  During a recent rain storm, I discovered one of the leaks that is causing the carpet to need patching and have ordered new weather-strip for the rear quarter windows. No point in patching or dying until I fix the leaking.