News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

How To Installi A Battery Operated Clock In A '37 LaSalle To Replace Original

Started by carlhungness, October 14, 2023, 08:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlhungness

I'd like to install a AA battery operated clock mechanism in my '37 LaSalle coupe to replace the original and wonder if anyone has suggestions for doing the conversion. I think I'm handy enough to make the new mechanism accept the original clock hands and seeking suggestions for what clock to buy to make the conversion.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Carl, my son-in-law is a master clockmaker. I've worked in his shop and "changed" many movements of this type of clock. I don't think you will find that given the thousands and thousands of this movement in use, you will find that there is one "better" than the other. Bill buys them in bulk.

(Really, they are all just about the same unless you get one with a striking mechanism. And you don't want one of those.) Best of luck.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

carlhungness

I don't want to use the original movement, even if its new. I feel confident I can find a AA battery operated clock I can rip apart and install where the original movement lived. Of course I'll have to address fitting the original hands to the new movement, thus I've posted here on the Forum hoping someone has already done the modification.
    If I have a clock that relies on the car's battery I'd be wondering how long it will take to run the battery down. Then again I plan to have a battery cut-off switch so I'll keep an open mind and maybe just have my original rebuilt. I will run a 12 volt system with some resistors.

Jim Miller

Craft stores sell battery clock mechanisms. I've looked at them but have not tried converting yet. I've thought of finding a clock on eBay to refinish and use as a base to convert so I can keep the original untouched.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX