News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

"79 Diesel Seville

Started by David Jolliff, January 28, 2005, 06:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Jolliff

I want to convert my diesel Seville to gas. I have a sound  Chevy 350 target master with what I believe is a TH400 tranny which was in a "79 Blazer. What am I looking at as far as motor mount match-up? Will I need to use the Seville tranny(although I seriously doubt it matches the Chevy bell housing)?
If anyone knows of info sources regarding this I would be most appreciative. I dont wish to reinvent the wheel, just learn from others experiences!
Thanks, Dr. Dave

Michael Stamps 19507

This might be a better topic for the proposed Modified Cadillac chapter.  You can visit us here:

http://www.modifiedcadillac.org TARGET=_blank>www.modifiedcadillac.org

Stampie

Bob Chesnutt # 21760

Well, I converted an 83 toro from a diesel to a 350 gas engine.

The results were less than satisfactory.  After rebuilding the transmission twice, I got rid of the car.  The major problem was that the gas engine did not have an easy way of locking up the torque converter and therefore the torque converter overheated and wore itself out.

I did not have any problem with the motor mounts.  If I remember correctly the 5.7 diesel matched up with the olds configuration, therefore we used a 350 olds engine.  I am forgetful, but you can tell by looking at the top bolt pattern where the transmission mounts to the engine.  The Chev pattern has 1 top bolt in the center and the olds pattern has a flat place in the top with 2 bolts on the top probably about 6" apart.

If you are serious, I suggest you put both the engine and the TH400 in and build what you need to mount the engine and transmission.  One would need to decide if the engine-transmission config would be better if olds or chev.

Frankly, I would consider rebuilding the diesel and leave it the way it is.  

If you want any more discussion e-mail me at bobandhelen@aol.com.

Frank Bonaventure

My 79 Diesel Seville went 200K without water distiller, engine was great, tranny went 3x.

Frank