News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Fuel system

Started by Glenn Wilkinson, March 08, 2005, 10:40:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Wilkinson

Im a new member of CLC National as of today, so no CLC # yet. I have 40 LaSalle model 5019. Bought it in Dec. Was fully restored during 95-97. No problems until recently. Fuel line got plugged between tank and fuel pump. Blew the blockage out and things ran great. Apparently the problem has returned. Engine just quits, as if out of gas, but tank is full. Whats best way to trouble shoot and prevent reoccurence? Was restored stock but carb (Carter) is off a 49 Caddy. Thanks!

Glenn Wilkinson

Bill Hamilton, CLC #16219

Glenn,

I also have a 1940 LaSalle 5019. I would bet that the problem is in your fuel tank. Sounds like bits of crude are being sucked into the fuel line from the tank and starving the engine for fuel. Perhaps the previous restoration did not include cleaning and sealing the fuel tank. At least this is where I would start. Good Luck.

Bill Hamilton
40 LaSalle 5019

Bill Ingler CLC 7799

Glenn- I had the same problem with both my 41 and 47. The 47 tank was full of rust which then pluged up the pick up tube in the tank. The 41 problem was someone coated the inside of the tank with the wrong coating. The newer additives in todays gas caused the coating to loosen and plug the fuel line. I sent both my tanks to Gas Tank Renu in CA. They open the tank, clean and seal it then coat the exterior. They guarantee the tank,cost about $220. As I tour a lot with each car I did not want continuing problems. It sounds like you better pull the tank and look inside then you will have a better idea of the problem. I also install a see through 5/16th glass filter between my tank and aux pump, buy at NAPA. I can see very quick what is coming from the tank