News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

74 Eldo - leak

Started by Todd, March 10, 2005, 06:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Have a slow oil leak on my Eldo.  Put cardboard underneath it in the garage.  Is it worth replacing the oil pan gasket? labor$  Is there anything else to do to stop leak?

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Todd,

It is up to you weather you fix it, but there is nothing worse that a persistant oil leak, especially when visiting friends, and leaving a reminder of your visit on their clean driveway.

The first thing is to positively locate the leak, and then determine just how hard it is to fix.   A gasket is easier to replace than an oil seal.

If the oil is a light reddish, then it is Auto Trans ot Power Steering oil, and dark thick is engine oil, and treakle black is Diff oil.

But, oil is oil, and if you can live with a steadily dirtier underneath, then dont bother fixing it.   The underneath will get dirtier as the oil is blown back underneath as you drive, then dust from the road will stick to it, and at least it wont get any rustier where it is messy.

Lastly, I dont recommend any of the Engine oil stop leak Supplements.   Not even when just selling a car.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Dave MacGregor #18998

Hi,

Not sure, but I think the engine actually has to be removed for clearance to get at the pan gasket on all Eldorados.

Dave

Bob Chesnutt 21760

Bruce and Dave are both correct.  The best way to start is to clean the bottom of the engine and run it and watch for the oil leak and trace it back to the source.

Many times you will be surprised to find what it is, just because oil is on the oil pan doesnt say that is where it came from.  I have found many times it is a valve cover gasket, sometimes the timing gear case, sometimes a rear main bearing, and even the oil sending unit as well as the pan gasket.

Once you have determined exactly where the leak is, you will be able to determine the proper fix.  If it is one of the gaskets, try tightening the bolts.  These gaskets shink and the bolts come loose.  The prime location that I found is the valve cover gaskets.  If the oil is from the transmission, I have found the prime spot is the shift lever.  

If it is the timing case cover, you can get it from the front.  The problem you will have is getting the case back onto the locating studs because of needing to compress the pan gasket.  The only way I have found to do that is to loosen the front of the pan so it can be moved down slightly and then tighten it after the timing case cover is installed.  If it is the front seal around the crank shaft, you can replace it by removing harmonic ballencer and pully.  If it is the rear main bearing seal or the pan gasket, I would suggest that if it is bad enough to replace, the best way is remove the engine.

Good luck, Bob C

Todd

Thanks Much for your input folks - APPRECIATED!