News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Brougham Power Antenna

Started by Morgan Murphy, #17409, March 18, 2005, 02:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morgan Murphy, #17409

The power antenna on my 1990 Brougham was disconnected by the former owner because he says it began to whirr continuously one day.  

Ive got a Brougham shop manual and had planned to fix this on Saturday.  Anybody have any idea if perhaps all I need to do is replace the mast?  Or would it be easier to simply replace the whole motor assembly?

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Morgan,

Sounds like the nylon cord had broken at the base of the mast, and had been fully rewound so that the drive wheel will not grab it.

I have had a few aerials to pieces, and when I was repairing the one on my 60, I combined the parts from a 57 with what I had, and made one that worked.   Then the nylon cord broke, so I just cut off the stiff with age last 1 of it, carefully removed the broken part fron the bottom of the mast inner, with a drill the size that didnt remove any metal, then with a fine drift, carefully opened up the receiving hole and re-inserted the original nylon cord and re-swaged it.

It worked a treat, and still does.

I know that the 59/60 Workshop Manual shows the workings of the aerial, so I wouldnt be surprised that the 90 Manual does the same.

My philosophy is that if someone can make something, then I can have a go at fixing it.   If I cant fix it, then I will adapt something that will fill the intended task.

Over here, that is a requirement when dealing with items that we have, but need parts we cant easily locate.   But, the Internet has made the tasks a lot easier.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Viator Trudeau #8697

I replaced the top section of the antenna  in 1995. It cost apx. $18.00 then.  The power ant. housing is moulded in two plastic halves riveted together. Cut the rivets, split the unit, the old whip usually breaks at the metal tube L where it goes into the spool that pushes and pulls the plastic whip which is fastened to the top section to extend the sections. Remove the screw on button on top and feed it thru the lower sections. The worm gear drive-armature moves both ways actuating a switch when the top section reaches its upper and lower limits to stop the motor.  When the L snaps there is no torque on the motor to move the armature to activate the switch so it continues to run. I bolted the halves together and its still working.  Also did this to a 1980 Brougham and my 1968 Eldorado Pt.# is 22038195 cable & rod pkg-ant Gr 09 647 Hope this helps  Viator Trudeau